What readers think of The Polished Hoe, plus links to write your own review.

Summary |  Excerpt |  Reviews |  Read-Alikes |  Genres & Themes |  Author Bio

Jun 2003, 480 pages

Jun 2004, 480 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Polished Hoe

Nadia

This book was excellent. To truly enjoy this novel one must sit back and place him/herself as though he or she was also sitting in the room as this woman tells her story. Though there may be a few places that are not geographically correct, the author never states that this is Barbados , but Bimshire. The way Mathilda tells this story is as a woman with so much to tell and has been waiting for the opportunity to find someone with whom she can share all of this information. Though the story would seem very nonchalant and insignificant, there are quite a few subtleties that capture the readers attention.
Joy

I loved this book. It is beautifully written, and the story is enthralling. It strays a lot from the main plot, though, so it should be read with patience - devour every word.

- Joy, 16
noone

The book was good. I really enjoyed reading it. I wish iI could meet Clarke himself. I thought the end was interesting when she <<edited for plot spoiler content>>. You need patientce to read the book.
Ellis

Ah... Their Eyes Were Watching God, by Zora Neale Hurston... my favorite book.

I listened to a review of The Polished Hoe on CBC radio. A Kingston book club (a group of young, apparently well-educated people) was reviewing it, and gave it a miserable rating. And then came the call-in. Men and women of all ages and stature. The consensus was positive, I bought the book, and I LOVED it.
It's beautifully told. But it's not for everyone.
Joan

The story rambled on too long . I just about dispared of ever finding out if she murdered te guy. Too much information that had nothing to do with the story.
Janice Turner

I am in the 60's to 70's age group, and I was looking forward to reading this book, but I was dreadfully disappointed. I found it exceedingly boring, abrasive and vulgar. I live in Barbados and I found many errors (place names etc.) in this book. I have read other works by Austin Clarke and enjoyed them. Not so "The Polished Hoe".
sissy bryant

The minute I saw Austin Clarke interviewed on PBS television, I ordered two copies; one for myself and one for my friend who is the President of my history club and an Island Man. I have more than a passing interest in the comparisons and contrasts between what happened to
African Americans here and the ones who where taken to the Carribean. Austin Clarke,s novel was spellbinding. One, the story was told by a women and number two, it validates for me the horrors that Women of the diaspora suffered. This story needed to be told and I am glad that I can now connect even more with women of the diaspora.
K. Powell

I thought that hearing about the novel's major relationships in the 2nd hand robbed the book of some of its power. Clarke took on an immense job conveying the story of a Barbadian "kept" woman on a plantation in the post-colonial era. There have been many disturbing revelations thus far and I cannot wait to reach the conclusion.

My novel is a part of an English assignment, I chose a link between the Polished Hoe and Their Eyes Were Watching God, which I heartily recommend.

In hindsight, I believe there was a better link between Faulkner and Austin Clark, I have already read A Light In August. Themes about the effects of colonialism, Caribbean life and Black communities are of great interest to me.

TTFN!

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: Real Americans
    Real Americans
    by Rachel Khong
    Rachel Khong's sophomore novel Real Americans is an intergenerational saga that questions racial and...
  • Book Jacket: A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    A Short Walk Through a Wide World
    by Douglas Westerbeke
    From the very first page of A Short Walk Through a Wide World, debut novelist (and librarian!) ...
  • Book Jacket: The Swans of Harlem
    The Swans of Harlem
    by Karen Valby
    Journalist Karen Valby's first book, The Swans of Harlem, introduces readers to the little-known ...
  • Book Jacket: The Sicilian Inheritance
    The Sicilian Inheritance
    by Jo Piazza
    Sara Marsala is going through a rough patch, to say the least. In the process of divorcing from her ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Romantic Comedy
by Curtis Sittenfeld
A comedy writer's stance on love shifts when a pop star challenges her assumptions in this witty and touching novel.

Members Recommend

This Strange Eventful History
    by Claire Messud

An immersive, masterful story of a family born on the wrong side of history.

Poetry is like fish: if it's fresh, it's good; if it's stale, it's bad; and if you're not certain, try it on the ...

R is a D B S C