What readers think of For Matrimonial Purposes, plus links to write your own review.

For Matrimonial Purposes

by Kavita Daswani

For Matrimonial Purposes by Kavita Daswani X
For Matrimonial Purposes by Kavita Daswani

Jun 2003, 336 pages

Jun 2004, 288 pages

There are currently 16 reader reviews for For Matrimonial Purposes

Funny, witty book.. all Indian girls, esp living in America can relate to all the episodes the character has to go through.. well written, and real!
christine

Kavita Daswani does a great job throughout this amazing tale. Being Asian, I can find myself relating to similar situations that Anju experiences. Anju is such an amazing character and ought to be admired! She's smart, funny, lovely, loving, and loyal! For Matrimonial Puroposes is the kind of book that will make you want to read until you're finished. Daswani's characters are very realistic, you'll definitely find yourself laughing out loud. Recommend this book to friends. Not only will they come to love Anju, but be exposed to a differnt cultural perspective!!!
anjali

Hi, I am 18 going on 19 this month!!!
The Book felt like scenes from my own life - teen life, and what to expect as i go on my 20's. Its what every Indian girl goes through. or will go through at some point in life. It prepares you for martimony.
angelin

an amazing book! i'm a 17 year old student who chose this book for my english cpt, and i loved it! you wanna know more about indian culture and marriage? read this book! its full of humour and truth. kavita daswani explores the intimate details of a female's mind about marriage. bend it like beckham is nothing compared to this! i recommend this book for both girls and guys of all ages...you'll love it. so pick it up sometime, its a lot different than other books you may have read.
Mandy

Hi i'm a 17 year old 'A'level student and i have decided to study this book for my English coursework. Im not into reading but i really enjoyed this one because i can really relate to what Kavita Daswani writes about. Im not of the Asian culture but my mum and dad are giving me stick about boys and whether i have a boyfriend or not. I would really reccomend this book as it focuses deeper into what mothers really think about, marrying off their daughters.
sabina ahmed

Okay, i just finished this book, and i thought it was great, excellent, right on, i think kavita captured beautifully what many single women in the sub-contintent have to go through. and for those who are not from the sub-continent area, yes this is really how people think from that part of the world. i believe it should be read by every single and not single woman who is from there, as it is the only piece of literture that truly captures what so many of us have to go through. i am not from india but Pakistan i truly felt it captured what young single women face in this part of the world
i am definately going to reccomend it to everyone i can get my hands on!

avid readier

Sarah

I just read the paperback. I hurt my tummy laughing. I actually teared a few times too!
Deepa

When I first saw the book cover from far, i thought it was a book with a list of prospective brides and grooms :)
I could totally relate to the book, being an Indian who came to U.S. for further studies. Kavita's writing was so
catchy, i stopped doing research to finish reading the book. I really admired the way she start's using her
fashion knowledge in describing anything and everything as soon as she lands the job, while keeping the
normal innocent way of writing when Anju is in India and is not exposed to the American lifestyle. A great book.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: After Sappho
    After Sappho
    by Selby Wynn Schwartz

"Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time."
    —Sappho, fragment ...

• Book Jacket: City Under One Roof
    City Under One Roof
    by Iris Yamashita
    When a disembodied arm and leg wash ashore in Point Mettier, Alaska, most residents assume they ...
  • Book Jacket: We Deserve Monuments
    We Deserve Monuments
    by Jas Hammonds
    Jas Hammonds' debut young adult novel We Deserve Monuments provides a fresh look at the coming-of-...
    Factory Girls
    by Leslie T. Chang
    Considering the articles in recent years regarding toy recalls or melamine-tainted milk ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

Moonrise Over New Jessup
    by Jamila Minnicks

"Jamila Minnicks pulled me into pages of history I'd never turned before."—Barbara Kingsolver

This Other Eden
    by Paul Harding

A novel inspired by the true story of Malaga Island from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Tinkers.

Ghost Season
    by Fatin Abbas

A beautifully orchestrated debut connecting five people caught in the crosshairs of conflict on the Sudanese border.

C To T Q

I find that a great part of the information I have was acquired by looking something up and finding something else ...