Reader reviews and comments on Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, plus links to write your own review.

A Savannah Story

by John Berendt

Jan 1994, 386 pages
    Jul 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 7 reader reviews for Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil

Elizabeth (08/19/14)

AWESOME
I'm reading this book I am enjoying this as I read it. Like the fact that it's based on real event. To read about the party's that go on the piano playing the songs I'm learning how the people lived
College Student (11/08/06)

GREAT BOOK ABOUT SOUTHERNERS
I had to read this book for one of My college classes. I LOVED IT. This is how southern people are, We all gossip and we do elaborate (a little) stories. However, we are tactfully truthful. We would not say anything behind people backs that we would say to their faces. I thought this book was well written and really enjoyed. Plus I got an A on my paper.
LisaO. (07/26/06)

Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
Savannah/Tybee Island having been my families favorite summer getaway for years it was a joy to read such an enthralling story about a place that is so dear to me. The discriptions of the town that Mr. Berendt so perfectly dipictes, conjurs up the sights and sounds, smells and faces of Savannah to an exact likeness that it's like sitting on a park bench in one of the historical squares listening and watching these southern eccentrics instead of sitting in my chair at home in Atlanta reading. I am now reading it for the 2nd time and still laughing out loud.
chris (03/25/04)

I think the plot is strangley confusing

why does williams 'disappear' for 10 chapters, did he really murder?

There is a lot of psycho-sexual confusion, williams is obviously gay, danny is his boy. Chablis ? male or female ? What on earth is going on???

Is Savannha really SO full of strange and mysterious charactors ?

There appears to be racial tension / undertones not full explored or explained

left me with more questions than answers, some may like that, I, however, do not.

chris

Jan Bailey (07/10/03)

Before two weeks ago i had never read the book or seen the movie. A friend suggested since i was going to visit Savannah that i should read it. I went to the library and got the book on CD. We were blown away.... it was awesome. I love the way the characters are discribed. As soon as we arrived in town we rented the movie. After the book, movies are always disappointing......... but we still watched it and have become totally engrossed in the story. Im anxious to read something else by Mr Berendt.
Jeannine (09/21/02)

I heard from so many people what a wonderful book this is. I read it but didn't really enjoy it. I'm glad I saw Savannah before I read the book, because it certainly wouldn't make me want to go there. Lots of weird, strange people within the book's covers, but then they say "truth is stranger than fiction" and this is supposed to be true, isn't it?
john (03/27/02)

this is a superbely written book. it is a delightful mixture of both humor and intrigue

• Book Jacket: Barkskins
    Miss Jane
    by Brad Watson

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Secret Language of Stones
    by M. J. Rose

"A fantastic historical tale of war, love, loss and intrigue."
    – Melanie Benjamin

The Fair Fight
by Anna Freeman

A page-turning novel set in the world of 18th century female pugilists.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All