Reader reviews and comments on The Winter Queen, plus links to write your own review.

The Winter Queen

Mar 2004, 264 pages

There are currently 13 reader reviews for The Winter Queen

Elouise Lepmah

German translation
Great plot, well written story.
Other than sleeping at night, I couldn't put my copy down until I had reached the end.
I'm puzzled that the translator didn't check his German translation.
For example,in Chapter 7, p87 in my copy, "Spater, spater" should have "a Umlaut", or at least be written as spaeter..
Rainbow is Regenbogen, not Regenborn.
Unless there is some kind of old-German, used in Russia.
No need to post this review, as I just wanted to make a comment on Andrew Bromfield's German translation.
He has done a fantastic job of translating Russian to English.
YAH! Read this book!

A-MAY-ZIN
I can't wait to read the next book. I thought the ending was kind of dismal but that just leads to suspense for the next book. I recommend this book to anyone who likes mysteries, suspense, and a little play in romance. This book is definitely a winner in my eyes!!
Ms.Arabia

A writer worth diamonds
The way Akunin writes makes you want to read more, unfortunatly only two of his novels were translated to english and I doubt there are any arabic translations, so my journey with his writings is suspended.
Lemmy

To me, Russian writer Akunin is one of the best writers of all time and his Fandorin series are extremely exciting and refreshing to read. If only more authors could write so well.
If you want to know what people in Europe & Russia are reading nowadays-- get this book!! Millions of people can't be wrong and I'm pretty sure this intelligent (crime) story will make you a fan too. Now go get it!!!
Lemmy (24y/o) from Europe

roberto pietro

The Winter Queen is intricate, whitty, clever, and intelligent. The retro atmospherics and international color are great stuff. Akunin invests the mystery genre with literary qualities. Light fiction, but very fine. For some reason only two of his books are available in English translation--in other European languages much of the Fandorin and Pelagia series are available. A shame, but perhaps revealing of the increasingly parochial character of our literary culture.
Alissa

I adore Akunin's detective stories!I read them both in english and in russian and enjoy reading them so much.The elegance of the Winter Queen is fascinating..the book should make all those cheap detective writers choose another job as fast as possible..No matter what your tastes are,read Akunin's books and I bet anything,you are going to like them!
columbado

One of the best detectives I've ever read. Akunin is clever, thrilling, funny and so light you don't believe it. He has one liability - being Russian, and Russians are not supposed to be detective writers. So, I doubt the snobist American audience ever buys his books. It's rather for exotic marginal Americans - and they usually don't read light literature.
Tasha

I read this novel in two languages and can say it's an excellent book. I would recommend it everyone who likes detectives with clever plot .

• Book Jacket: The Last Ballad
    by Liv Constantine

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

The Story of Arthur Truluv
    by Elizabeth Berg

The less we know, the longer our explanations.

E Dog H I D