We are proud to announce that BookBrowse has won Platinum in the 2024 Modern Library Awards.

What readers think of Guns, Germs & Steel, plus links to write your own review.

Guns, Germs & Steel

by Jared Diamond

Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond X
Guns, Germs & Steel by Jared Diamond

Mar 1997, 480 pages

Apr 1999, 480 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for Guns, Germs & Steel

Kitty-San

Wow. Diamond's work in this book was amazing. Simply delectable. This book is written in a way that it keeps interest even though some say it is a bit long. But truely, for the ground it covers, its ever so short. I recommend this book to anyone willing to take some time to discover more about our past and what the future might hold for us. Please keep in mind, this is from the mouth of a 14 year old.
Paul

Brilliant. Compelling. Okay, it is a bit long, but well worth the read and sticking with it. The vaste panorama of human history will be laid out for you, and your understanding of how - and why - civilisation developed they way it did will change the way you look at the world.

It is rare that such an "academic" book deserves so many superlatives, but this one does. If you have the slightest interest in prehistory and the development of mankind on a global stage, this is the book for you. If you don't have any interest in these topics, this book is still for you!
T.L.

Well, Let's See....
This is a good book. It may have some boring parts on it, but it's not to entertain you anyways. It's to inform you. And this book is a carefully thought-out, use all your resources, take 30 or more years to finish, AMAZING book. Jared Diamond had to be VERY dedicated to finish his research. I probably would've quit on the 3rd day! But all Diamond's work paid off to have a very successful, informative book published, and he should praise himself in that.
Megan

GG&S is a really bad read!!!
I think this book is absolutely terrible. It is not only horribly boring, but terribly redundant.

Join our inner reading circle, go ad-free and get way more!

• Book Jacket: The Atlas of Us
    The Atlas of Us
    by Kristin Dwyer
    Despite her name, Atlas James feels like she lacks a road map for her future. In the months since ...
  • Book Jacket: One Hour of Fervor
    One Hour of Fervor
    by Muriel Barbery
    Set during multiple decades across the turn of the 21st century, One Hour of Fervor follows Haru, a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Ascent
    The Ascent
    by Adam Plantinga
    Adam Plantinga's brilliant debut novel, The Ascent, introduces readers to former Detroit police ...
  • Book Jacket: The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    The Curse of Pietro Houdini
    by Derek B. Miller
    Derek B. Miller's sixth novel, The Curse of Pietro Houdini, opens in the town of Cassino, Italy, in ...

BookBrowse Book Club

Clytemnestra
by Costanza Casati
A feminist Greek retelling about the most notorious heroine of the ancient world and the events that forged her into a legendary queen.

Members Recommend

Help Wanted
    by Adelle Waldman

From the best-selling author of The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P. comes a funny, eye-opening tale of work in contemporary America.

Strong Passions
    by Barbara Weisberg

Shocking revelations of a wife's adultery in 19th New York explode in an incendiary trial exposing the upper-crust and its secrets.

Win This Book
Win The Cleaner

The Cleaner
by Brandi Wells

Rarely has cubicle culture been depicted in such griminess or with such glee."
PW (starred review)