Reader reviews and comments on Lost In A Good Book, plus links to write your own review.

Lost In A Good Book

Feb 2004, 339 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Lost In A Good Book

Power Reviewer Cloggie Downunder

hilarious
Lost in a Good Book is the 2nd book in the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. Fresh from her adventures in The Eyre Affair, Thursday Next is enjoying married life until she is informed that her husband, Landen Parke-Laine, died 38 years ago: suddenly, he only exists in her memories. This turns out to be a ploy to convince her to get Goliath operative, Jack Schitt, out of “The Raven”, where she had previously trapped him. Can her ex-ChronoGuard father help? What has Miss Havisham from Great Expectations got to do with it all?
Filled with hilarious names for characters and SpecOps divisions and witty, clever dialogue, this novel also has a highly original plot. Monty Pythonesque in parts, it is reminiscent of work by the late Douglas Adams, by Sir Terry Pratchett, and by Lewis Carroll. Fforde shows us that travel ports, courts of law, art exhibitions and employment reviews are essentially the same, no matter what version of universe one inhabits. And the alternate universe Thursday is offered towards the end is a cute twist. The chapter introductions, in the form of journal extracts or parts of manuals, give the reader pertinent background information in a unique way. The ending has the reader eager to read the next installment, The Well of Lost Plots. Don’t read this in public because you WILL laugh out loud, often.
Nadia

Fantastic! "Lost in a Good Book" is a bit darker than the Fforde's first novel in the series ("The Eyre Affair") -- it is nonetheless as riveting as the first. It's exciting to plumb more deeply into the various characters as some of their past histories come to light. I truly enjoy Fforde's irreverent and sardonic perspective on all that is ridiculous, ugly and/or beautiful! I have recommended it to all of my friends.
Cindy

Almost as good as the first Next!!

• Book Jacket: The Radium Girls
    by Jennifer Finney Boylan
  • Book Jacket: Proving Ground
    Proving Ground
    by Peter Blauner
    More than a decade after winning the 1992 Best First Novel Edgar for Slow Motion Riot, Peter Blauner...

Win News of the World

The Gypsy Moth Summer
    by Julia Fierro

One of the most anticipated books of 2017.

T's S I Numbers