Reader reviews and comments on Lost In A Good Book, plus links to write your own review.

Lost In A Good Book

Feb 2004, 339 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Lost In A Good Book

Cloggie Downunder

hilarious
Lost in a Good Book is the 2nd book in the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. Fresh from her adventures in The Eyre Affair, Thursday Next is enjoying married life until she is informed that her husband, Landen Parke-Laine, died 38 years ago: suddenly, he only exists in her memories. This turns out to be a ploy to convince her to get Goliath operative, Jack Schitt, out of “The Raven”, where she had previously trapped him. Can her ex-ChronoGuard father help? What has Miss Havisham from Great Expectations got to do with it all?
Filled with hilarious names for characters and SpecOps divisions and witty, clever dialogue, this novel also has a highly original plot. Monty Pythonesque in parts, it is reminiscent of work by the late Douglas Adams, by Sir Terry Pratchett, and by Lewis Carroll. Fforde shows us that travel ports, courts of law, art exhibitions and employment reviews are essentially the same, no matter what version of universe one inhabits. And the alternate universe Thursday is offered towards the end is a cute twist. The chapter introductions, in the form of journal extracts or parts of manuals, give the reader pertinent background information in a unique way. The ending has the reader eager to read the next installment, The Well of Lost Plots. Don’t read this in public because you WILL laugh out loud, often.
Nadia

Fantastic! "Lost in a Good Book" is a bit darker than the Fforde's first novel in the series ("The Eyre Affair") -- it is nonetheless as riveting as the first. It's exciting to plumb more deeply into the various characters as some of their past histories come to light. I truly enjoy Fforde's irreverent and sardonic perspective on all that is ridiculous, ugly and/or beautiful! I have recommended it to all of my friends.
Cindy

Almost as good as the first Next!!

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Transcendent Kingdom
    Transcendent Kingdom
    by Yaa Gyasi
    Yaa Gyasi's (pronounced "yah jessie") Transcendent Kingdom is, among other things, a meditation on ...
  • Book Jacket: We Are Not Free
    We Are Not Free
    by Traci Chee
    Author Traci Chee is best known for her young adult fantasy trilogy, The Reader series. We Are Not ...
  • Book Jacket: The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    The Standardization of Demoralization Procedures
    by Jennifer Hofmann
    The title of Jennifer Hofmann's perceptive debut novel with its bureaucratese strongly suggests a ...
  • Book Jacket: His Only Wife
    His Only Wife
    by Peace Adzo Medie
    21-year-old Afi is a talented Ghanaian seamstress eager to study fashion design, but her life is ...

Piranesi
    by Susanna Clarke

A new novel from the NY Times bestselling author of Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

Find Me
by André Aciman

The author of the worldwide bestseller Call Me by Your Name revisits its complex and beguiling characters.

Win Memorial Drive

Memorial Drive
by Natasha Trethewey

The moving, intimate story of a poet coming into her own in the wake of tragedy.

L N Take I C