Reader reviews and comments on Memoirs, plus links to write your own review.

Memoirs

A Twentieth Century Journey In Science And Politics

by Edward Teller, Judith Shoolery

Memoirs by Edward Teller, Judith Shoolery

Oct 2001, 544 pages
    Sep 2002, 627 pages

There is 1 reader review for Memoirs

Davina - BookBrowse.com (02/14/03)

Edward Teller was one of the leading scientists of the 20th century and has been described as 'the father of the hydrogen bomb'. His memoirs run to 600 pages of small type (in paperback), covering most of the 20th century - from his birth in 1908 to the year 2000 which, although a mere 60 pages a decade, makes the book a fairly formidable tome. Most of his memoirs are very readable (from a layman's point of view) but I found myself getting a little bogged down towards the end, from about 1970 - which in fairness is only the last 100 pages or so. The first half of the book was the strongest for me - describing his childhood in Hungary and education in Germany during the rise of anti-Semitism, and the period leading up to the end of WWII, and the dropping of the hydrogen bombs on Japan - about which he expresses very frank, and perhaps surprising, opinions.

Overall, an interesting memoir from an interesting and controversial man. As always, you don't have to take my opinion for it - you can browse the foreword and a substantial excerpt from the 2nd chapter by clicking on the 'excerpt' link above.

• Book Jacket: Salt Houses
    Salt Houses
    by Hala Alyan
    Salt Houses is the story of a Palestinian family living in Nablus; it begins on the eve of the ...
  • Book Jacket: The End of Eddy

The Scribe of Siena
    by Melodie Winawer

Extraordinary Adventures
    by Daniel Wallace

A large-hearted and optimistic novel that is witty, winsome, and wise.

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power

T's A S B Every M