Reader reviews and comments on The King of Torts, plus links to write your own review.

The King of Torts

by John Grisham

The King of Torts by John Grisham X
The King of Torts by John Grisham

Feb 2003, 384 pages
    Dec 2003, 480 pages

There are currently 25 reader reviews for The King of Torts

jsampson02@yahoo.com

I have always enjoyed Grisham. However I am only on page 77 of the King of Torts and I feel as if I know what is going to happen and that I have read this book before.
Laura Curtin

The "King of Torts" was a 5 rating up until the ending! I was extremely disappointed because I sensed what was coming! Usually I try to figure out Grisham's endings and am way off track, but this one I hit the nail on the head! That's not a good thing, because I like to be caught off guard! I loved the characters and the plot! The mysterious benefactor of Clay's rise to fame and fortune stays mysterious and the reader is left to guess what happened to him as well as how many millions he escaped with!

I was disappointed in this book. It felt like he threw the ending together to meet a deadline. The first part of the book was gripping, but he left too many unanswered questions and loose ends.
wan

I've read all Grisham's novel except "Skipping Christmas", and I founded that "The King Of Torts" was the worst. Once, I've writen my tutorial assignment just to make it exist. Then, I don't care abaut what I wrote because the dateline is coming. I thought Grisham wrote this novel also just to make it exist.
josh

This book was awful, even worse than the summons. I loved runaway jury and enjoyed the brethren, but this one was no good. The whole thing just makes you dislike every single character, from the businesses to every single lawyer and pretty much all the side characters. The ending felt like the end of a South Park episode: "I've learned something today..." Call me old fashioned, but i like to put down a book and feel like at least ONE of the characters was a decent human being.
Steve

Please...just because it's Grisham doesn't mean you have to give it a 2 or a 3 if it was a dissapointment. This book was poor. Clay goes from principled defender of the poor to rich, greedy tort lawyer too fast and without any reasonable explanation. The ending was rushed and predictable. Plus, we never get to really know Rebecca or Clay, so it's hard to really care what happens to them anyway. The book is a '1', gang...admit it.
Greg

I thought that the whole premise that Clay Carter would become a mass tort lawyer was flawed. In one breath we see that the guy is principled enough not to take the job his future father-in-law tries to get him and then in the next breath he agrees to compromise his profession by making $5 million side deals. I also thought that a poor job was done of actually explaining why he ever wanted Rebecca back or why he allowed the model to milk him dry. There was not much conflict in this book and the ending was extemely predictable. This book is not a good advertisement for why people read.
Tom Thomson

This is definately the poorest book by John Grisham. The plot is thin, the storyline unlikely, the characters mainly unconvincing, and the ending predictable. In writing and publishing this book, he is no better that the tort lawyers he infers have few morals where the making of vast sums of money is concerned. I would like a refund.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House is my introduction to Ann Patchett, which, after reading it, surprises me. I had ...

• Book Jacket: Nights When Nothing Happened
    Nights When Nothing Happened
    by Simon Han
    A quiet atmosphere of dread permeates Simon Han's subdued debut novel Nights When Nothing Happened. ...
  • Book Jacket: Take It Back
    Take It Back
    by Kia Abdullah
    In Kia Abdullah's novel Take It Back, sexual violence advisor Zara Kaleel becomes involved in a case...

The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict

The real-life disappearance of Agatha Christie is perhaps her greatest mystery of all.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

Waiting for the Night Song
by Julie Carrick Dalton
A startling and timely debut about friendships forged in childhood and ruptured by the high price of secrets.
Win This Book!
Win The House on Vesper Sands

The House on Vesper Sands by Paraic O'Donnell

Introducing a detective duo for the ages who unlock the secrets of a startling Victorian mystery.

T T T Light F