Reader reviews and comments on Coal, plus links to write your own review.

Coal

A Human History

by Barbara Freese

Coal by Barbara Freese

Jan 2003, 320 pages
    Feb 2004, 320 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Coal

daniel baisley sr (03/13/10)

not enough reviews
I was sorry to see that there were so few reviews. I started reading COAL and could not stop. The only thing I am going to say is that I wish everyone concerned with our planet would read this book. Ms Freese combined history and the human story in such a way that the story became a powerful integration of facts and emotions displayed against the background of historical events that would or could be dry and unappealing.We are all guardians of this planet and as such should at least have the facts (enough) to make informed decisions.
JuJu2007 (09/09/04)

While this book may have been incredibly factual in content, it elongated many points and included unrelated information. It's information was unorganized and did not follow any sort of timeline which made it difficult to put important events in any sort of meaningful sequence. It also made taking notes on the book a difficult task. This book may have been found interesting to someone with a definitive interest in coal, the substance, how it is made and all of it's consequences, but otherwise I do not recommend this book.

However, the book did have some appealing qualities. The author is an environmentalist and made a strong arguement against the health concerns around coal making the book appealing to a wider audience. The grammar and sentence structure was beautiful and enjoyable.

• Book Jacket: All Our Wrong Todays

The Atomic Weight of Love
by Elizabeth J. Church

Mercies in Disguise
    by Gina Kolata

A story of hope, a family's genetic destiny, and the science that rescued them.

Lola
    by Melissa Scrivner Love

An astonishing debut crime thriller about an unforgettable woman.

I always find it more difficult to say the things I mean than the things I don't.

O My D B