What readers think of The Navigator of New York, plus links to write your own review.

The Navigator of New York

Oct 2003, 496 pages

There are currently 7 reader reviews for The Navigator of New York

judith palmer blin

wonderful prose
I thoroughly enjoy Johnston's wonderful rolling prose and unique viewpoints and descriptions.
Alex

Very compelling story. Interesting style.
Naugler

Wayne Johnston made an amazing novel with The Navigator of New York. This novel takes hitstory and adds a fictionalized story to the blend to make it an incredible read.
M. Birtch

A great novel. The descriptions of turn of the century New York were amazing. Not as good as Baltimores mansion or The Colony of Unrequited dreams, but still a wonderful read.
David Polk

This is a somewhat ponderous read. I found that it was not the equal to The Colony of Unrequited Dreams, but it is undoubtedly well written and researched.
DCW

the writing is bland- a somewhat interesting story but ...
Margaret D.

Although heavily and respectfully researched, this book suffers from the droning voice of the principal character and lack of continuity as the plot is unfurled, which results in a constant dance of two steps forward and three steps back. The saving grace of the work is the eloquent use of description intertwined with interesting historical fact. Not a huge literary achievement.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

The War Librarian
    by Addison Armstrong
    Emmaline Balakin believes in the power of the written word — books have changed her life. When...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of Goose
    The Book of Goose
    by Yiyun Li
    Yiyun Li's The Book of Goose is a story of childhood friendship between narrator Agnès, a one-...
  • Book Jacket: Big Red
    Big Red
    by Jerome Charyn
    Jerome Charyn made his name as an author of detective novels, and over the years he has taken his ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, the inspiring new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

Book Club Giveaway!