Reader reviews and comments on Citizen Soldiers, plus links to write your own review.

Citizen Soldiers

The U.S. Army from the Normandy Beaches to the Bulge to the Surrender of Germany. June 7, 1944 to May 7, 1945

by Stephen Ambrose

Oct 1997, 512 pages
    Aug 1999, 255 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for Citizen Soldiers

Cathey Aultman (09/08/15)

Citizen Soldiers, A Review
An excellent book. Amazing how he wove so many interviews together making the book flow. Anyone either in WWII, or with veterans among family and/or friends will appreciate this book.
whitepanter (11/05/10)

Citizen sodgiers
Amazing!!!
J Zengler (06/14/07)

Citizen Soldiers
One of the best books I have ever read. It really puts you there in the last year of WW2. I don't read many books, but I am so glad I read this one. This book makes you want to keep in remembrance the heroes of the war. I also liked how the book talked about the many bad soldiers in the war. How they used the war to profit and how some really hurt some operations. I liked how Ambrose interviewed German soldier. It really gave you an all around perspective of the war.
Evelyn (01/20/05)

Hello i am fifteen years old and i found citizen soldiers to be truly amazing at times. I recommend this book to any one who is interested in world war II, because it is accurate and enjoyable. I think Ambrose's true talent is focusing on one soldier in one battle and telling his story and then moving on to other battles.
Anonymous (12/18/04)

I am 15 years old and I think Citizen Soldiers is an excellent book about World War II. Stephen E. Ambrose is one of my favorite authors and this book made me appreciate even more the sacrifices of the men who fought to preserve democracy. This truly was the greatest generation, not just the soldiers but the people on the home-front. I liked how he told about all the different division involved, telling how the Air Force, Artillery units and infantry units all contributed to winning this war. I was sad to see Dr. Ambrose die.
imad (11/15/04)

Professor Ambrose at his best. Very gripping narrative with good attention to detail. I really don't care for the nationalistic histrionicsthough. Ambrose once wrote an introduction to Hans von Luck's "Panzer Commander" in which he stated quite unequivocally that the German Landser was the best soldier of the war. In "Citizen Soldiers" he wrote something completely different. The late professor seems to have gotten caught up in the latest patriotic frenzy espoused be a cabal of revisionist historians whose sole purpose seems to be to show the Wehrmacht in poor light. These people strain at the gnat to show, with disingenuous manipulation of facts and figures and with incredible verbal gymnastics, that the Americans and the Germans were somehow fighting on "equal" terms in the Second World War. I would probably be the last person to deny that American troops fought magnificently in that war - they proved time and again what they were capable of - it would be absurd in the extreme to suggest that they were being faced by an equally powerful enemy on comparable terms. The statement that democracy produces better soldiers than dictatorship is just a piece of crude propaganda. No scientific study has ever been don to back up such a claim. Very readable book nevertheless
Samantha (03/02/04)

This book is truly inspirational. I found it a good read and enjoyed it throughly. It was very accurate and gave me a good sense of pride knowing that some of the inspirational and heroic people fought for us.
I recommend it to anyone interested in World War 2 and more specifically D-Day.
Michael (01/08/04)

this is a great book! When you read it it's like you are actually there. U can see the setting and what is happening like U were in 1944 shooting at the Germans who are crossing the field. Anyone who is interested in World War II should read this book, even if you're not that interested. It is a really great book to read.

Stalin's Daughter
    The Romanovs
    by Simon Sebag Montefiore

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

Falling
    by Jane Green

Spinster
by Kate Bolick

A bold, original, moving book that will inspire fanatical devotion and ignite debate.

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All