Reader reviews and comments on The Measure of All Things, plus links to write your own review.

The Measure of All Things

Oct 2002, 432 pages
    Oct 2003, 448 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Measure of All Things

Jan Willem van den Beukel

Most people know that the circumference of the world is about 40.000 km. Approximately 40.000 km? No, exactly 40.000 km. At least that was the assumption about 200 years ago, when scientists started to measure the circumference of the world and to derive the lenght of the universal meter from this (1/40.000.000).

This book not only describes the process of defining the meter, no is much more. E.g it provides the background of the need and desires to have a universal system for measures, weights, coins, etc. placed in the social and polical context of the French revolution and the era of enlightment. It describes the lifes of two top French scientists and demonstrates the almost completely opposite ways of dealing with uncertainties in their knowledge and abilities. One person (Delhambre) accurately records all measurements and circumstance of his work, leaving it more to (other) colleaques the possibility to criticise his work (and thus enabling them to help him) while his colleague (Mechain) keeps all his measurement records to himself until the very last moment (and thus loading all the weight of uncertaintains on his own mind). This is an excellent illustration of an almost universal theme among scientists and other people still today. I am thinking here of the Irak-Blaire-Kelly affaire currently (July 2003) running in the United Kingdom.

I have read the 400 pages almost in one go because it is very well written, sometimes like a detective. It was worth every minute of my holiday spending this year.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: Watch Over Me
    Watch Over Me
    by Nina LaCour
    In the vast, kaleidoscopic multiverse of plot devices, one type that always pulls me right in is ...
  • Book Jacket: The Cold Millions
    The Cold Millions
    by Jess Walter
    Jess Walter's The Cold Millions centers around 16-year-old Rye Dolan and his 23-year-old brother Gig...
    The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste
    While reading The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste, I was reminded of the David Foster Wallace novel ...
  • Book Jacket: The Exiles
    The Exiles
    by Christina Baker Kline
    A young governess finds herself pregnant and in prison for theft and attempted murder. An Irish ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R