What readers think of December 6, plus links to write your own review.

December 6

by Martin Cruz Smith

December 6 by Martin Cruz Smith X
December 6 by Martin Cruz Smith

Sep 2002, 352 pages

Nov 2003, 352 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for December 6

Dave

This is a wonderful tale. A mystery. A thriller. A love story. All taking place during a well known point in time.

You know that the bombing of Pearl Harbor is on the horizon and you know that this event and Harry are intertwined. What you don't know is how and to what effect. And, you never know how important any one event, person, situation or off-handed comment will be...pay attention.

I was half-way through the book when I realized that Mr. Smith wasn't just developing characters and setting the stage in preparation for the key scene. No. The stage was set, the key scene was on page one, and the story was the characters. Wonderful. I was willingly pulled me along.

Plus, it was refreshing to have moments, sights, attitudes, environment described with such efficiency that it never detracted or slowed down the story.

I highly recommend it.
Steve

Let me start off by saying I liked this book. The plot and the characters were well developed. I genuinely liked Harry, scroundrel that he was. The love story held my interest and I felt it rang true. The ending was very exciting and faithfull to the characters as he developed them. My only complaint is that the story of the oil tanks in Hawaii was overly complicated in it's telling. Several times early on in the story, it's signifance was was treated as a minor incidence. So I didn't give it too much attention. But later on, the importance of the oil tanks is very significant. I also felt that the final confrontation was drawn out too long. That ends the criticism. I loved the character development and the bitter humor in the Burma Shave Hiku. And I highly recommend this book. And if you have the time, listen to ''Rose'' on books on tape. The begining is priceless.

Join BookBrowse today to start discovering exceptional books!

• Book Jacket: After Sappho
    After Sappho
    by Selby Wynn Schwartz

"Someone will remember us, I say, even in another time."
    —Sappho, fragment ...

• Book Jacket: City Under One Roof
    City Under One Roof
    by Iris Yamashita
    When a disembodied arm and leg wash ashore in Point Mettier, Alaska, most residents assume they ...
  • Book Jacket: We Deserve Monuments
    We Deserve Monuments
    by Jas Hammonds
    Jas Hammonds' debut young adult novel We Deserve Monuments provides a fresh look at the coming-of-...
    Factory Girls
    by Leslie T. Chang
    Considering the articles in recent years regarding toy recalls or melamine-tainted milk ...

The Mitford Affair
by Marie Benedict
An explosive novel of history's most notorious sisters, one of whom will have to choose: her country or her family?

Members Recommend

Ghost Season
    by Fatin Abbas

A beautifully orchestrated debut connecting five people caught in the crosshairs of conflict on the Sudanese border.

Margot
    by Wendell Steavenson

A young woman struggles to break free of her upper-class upbringing amid the whirlwind years of the sexual revolution.

This Other Eden
    by Paul Harding

A novel inspired by the true story of Malaga Island from the Pulitzer Prize–winning author of Tinkers.

C To T Q

Chance favors only the prepared mind