Reader reviews and comments on December 6, plus links to write your own review.

December 6

by Martin Cruz Smith

December 6

Sep 2002, 352 pages
    Nov 2003, 352 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for December 6

Dave (11/26/02)

This is a wonderful tale. A mystery. A thriller. A love story. All taking place during a well known point in time.

You know that the bombing of Pearl Harbor is on the horizon and you know that this event and Harry are intertwined. What you don't know is how and to what effect. And, you never know how important any one event, person, situation or off-handed comment will be...pay attention.

I was half-way through the book when I realized that Mr. Smith wasn't just developing characters and setting the stage in preparation for the key scene. No. The stage was set, the key scene was on page one, and the story was the characters. Wonderful. I was willingly pulled me along.

Plus, it was refreshing to have moments, sights, attitudes, environment described with such efficiency that it never detracted or slowed down the story.

I highly recommend it.
Steve (11/16/02)

Let me start off by saying I liked this book. The plot and the characters were well developed. I genuinely liked Harry, scroundrel that he was. The love story held my interest and I felt it rang true. The ending was very exciting and faithfull to the characters as he developed them. My only complaint is that the story of the oil tanks in Hawaii was overly complicated in it's telling. Several times early on in the story, it's signifance was was treated as a minor incidence. So I didn't give it too much attention. But later on, the importance of the oil tanks is very significant. I also felt that the final confrontation was drawn out too long. That ends the criticism. I loved the character development and the bitter humor in the Burma Shave Hiku. And I highly recommend this book. And if you have the time, listen to ''Rose'' on books on tape. The begining is priceless.

Do No Harm
    by Henry Marsh
    British neurosurgeon Henry Marsh might already be familiar as the subject of the Emmy-winning ...
  • Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q