Reader reviews and comments on Abraham, plus links to write your own review.

A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths

Feb 2004, 256 pages

There are currently 3 reader reviews for Abraham

Betty T

A Trip into Abraham's Land
I found the book to be very interesting. The author does not claim to be a scholar or an expert on any religion. He set out to explore the monotheistic religions in their settings. He first did this with his book "Walking the Bible". With this book, he looks at Abraham who is the man central to all three of the monotheistic religions. The book is the story of his journey; therefore, it is not written in a scholarly fashion. He struggles with how Abraham is so central to these three religions, yet the religions cannot even agree on some of the "shared" stories from Abraham's life. This helps the reader grasp some some degree of understanding regarding the conflict over Jerusalem and the struggle for the three religions to dwell in peace.

Feiler's book reaches for emotional and spiritual meaning, but fails to hit its mark, at least with this reader. His scholarship should be impeccable, not personal. I found particularly distasteful his use of 9/11 to heighten the emotional aspect of his quest. He merely touches on subjects, instead of offering balanced views so that we can tell if the information he is giving us should be trusted. I wish he had addressed how limiting this myth of Abraham is, how patriarchal, and how dismissive it is of women's ways of knowing God. Perhaps it is the loss of women as part of the substance of faith which leads to such infliction of human misery. Melinda Borrell

Feiler tells little that he couldn't have found on the internet. His folksy style seems out of tune with his material. I found the book quite dull reading.

• Book Jacket: A Land of Permanent Goodbyes

• Book Jacket: Educated
    by Tara Westover

The House of Broken Angels
    by Luis Alberto Urrea

The definitive Mexican-American immigrant story from an acclaimed storyteller.

Win The Balcony

The Balcony
by Jane Delury

Sorry, we do not currently have an active wordplay!