MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Blue Shoe, plus links to write your own review.

Blue Shoe

by Anne Lamott

Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott X
Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott

Sep 2002, 304 pages
    Oct 2003, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Blue Shoe

Lily

I wanted to like Blue Shoe, because I have read two other books by Lamott, and admire her for her faith and her struggles in life. What I didn't like about Mattie in Blue Shoe was her inability to feel any empathy toward Pauline. She was able to put herself in others' shoes on several occasions, and modify her harsh impulses toward a kinder attitude, but that never happened with Pauline. Pauline's depressions and her fat ass seemed grounds to condemn her.

I also thought that Ella, Mattie's little girl, was just about the most appalling tot that has ever walked the pages of a novel, with the possible exception of Roy in John Updike's Rabbit at Rest. The way she kept playing with her navel, then nibbling her wrist, then biting her nails made me want to smack her. Possibly Lamott, as the creator of this novel, wanted the reader to react that way, and to realize, eventually, that Ella is a child of God like everyone else and deserving of love and compasssion.

Robert Funke, one of the Jesus seminar scholars, wrote an article on The Good Samaritan story, interpreting it as a story that suggests that help comes from the most unexpected places, and that God's mercy and goodness pops up from unusual sources when you least expect it. (He suggests that quite a few of the parables have that message.) I think the Blue Shoe is a talisman, a reminder of the unexpectedness of God, but because so many of the characters in Blue Shoe were unlikeable, the message that Lamott seems to be conveying was not as effective as it might have been.

greg

too many characters; the plot was too confuleted with too many things going on. It became on ongoing soap opera; it truly is not one of my top five best noverls of the summer.

Delayed Rays of a Star
    by Amanda Lee Koe
    Amanda Lee Koe's Delayed Rays of a Star begins with a late-1920s photo of three women at a party in ...
  • Book Jacket: Sleepovers
    Sleepovers
    by Ashleigh Bryant Phillips
    In Ashleigh Bryant Phillips' debut story collection, Sleepovers, it can be difficult to keep tabs on...
    The Beekeeper of Aleppo
    by Christy Lefteri
    In Christy Lefteri's sophomore novel, The Beekeeper of Aleppo, the author introduces readers to ...
    Cantoras
    by Carolina De Robertis
    Cantoras by Carolina De Robertis follows five characters who share a house, troubles, joys and parts...

The Voyage of the Morning Light
    by Marina Endicott

A sweeping novel set aboard a merchant ship sailing through the South Pacific in 1912.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Of Bears and Ballots

An Alaskan Adventure in Small-Town Politics

A charming account of holding local office with an entertaining, quirky cast of characters.

A S Louder T W