Reader reviews and comments on Blue Shoe, plus links to write your own review.

Blue Shoe

by Anne Lamott

Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott X
Blue Shoe by Anne Lamott

Sep 2002, 304 pages
    Oct 2003, 304 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Blue Shoe

Lily

I wanted to like Blue Shoe, because I have read two other books by Lamott, and admire her for her faith and her struggles in life. What I didn't like about Mattie in Blue Shoe was her inability to feel any empathy toward Pauline. She was able to put herself in others' shoes on several occasions, and modify her harsh impulses toward a kinder attitude, but that never happened with Pauline. Pauline's depressions and her fat ass seemed grounds to condemn her.

I also thought that Ella, Mattie's little girl, was just about the most appalling tot that has ever walked the pages of a novel, with the possible exception of Roy in John Updike's Rabbit at Rest. The way she kept playing with her navel, then nibbling her wrist, then biting her nails made me want to smack her. Possibly Lamott, as the creator of this novel, wanted the reader to react that way, and to realize, eventually, that Ella is a child of God like everyone else and deserving of love and compasssion.

Robert Funke, one of the Jesus seminar scholars, wrote an article on The Good Samaritan story, interpreting it as a story that suggests that help comes from the most unexpected places, and that God's mercy and goodness pops up from unusual sources when you least expect it. (He suggests that quite a few of the parables have that message.) I think the Blue Shoe is a talisman, a reminder of the unexpectedness of God, but because so many of the characters in Blue Shoe were unlikeable, the message that Lamott seems to be conveying was not as effective as it might have been.

greg

too many characters; the plot was too confuleted with too many things going on. It became on ongoing soap opera; it truly is not one of my top five best noverls of the summer.

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Cold Millions
    The Cold Millions
    by Jess Walter
    Jess Walter's The Cold Millions centers around 16-year-old Rye Dolan and his 23-year-old brother Gig...
    The Shadow King
    by Maaza Mengiste
    While reading The Shadow King by Maaza Mengiste, I was reminded of the David Foster Wallace novel ...
  • Book Jacket: The Exiles
    The Exiles
    by Christina Baker Kline
    A young governess finds herself pregnant and in prison for theft and attempted murder. An Irish ...
  • Book Jacket: White Too Long
    White Too Long
    by Robert P. Jones
    Religious scholar Robert P. Jones doesn't pull any punches in his latest book, White Too Long: The ...

Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose & Fiona Davis (editors)

One City.
    One Movement.
    A World of Stories.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win Agent Sonya

Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy

Master storyteller Ben Macintyre tells the true story behind the Cold War's most intrepid female spy.

I I M B T Give T T R