What readers think of This Side Of The Sky, plus links to write your own review.

This Side Of The Sky

by Elyse Singleton

This Side Of The Sky by Elyse Singleton X
This Side Of The Sky by Elyse Singleton

Sep 2002, 304 pages

Sep 2003, 304 pages

There are currently 9 reader reviews for This Side Of The Sky

J Dicks

I just finished reading this novel and I enjoyed it very much. The characters seemed real and a lot of the history included in the novel was familiar because of stories I'd heard from family members raised in the south during the pre-WWII era. I especially liked and appreciated the passionate friendship of the two women in the story and that friendship reminds me of my relationships with women in my life. Thank you to the author for such an entertaining novel.
AJ

What a wonderful book! I am an avid reader, all genres, whatever I can get my hands on. This book was one of the best I have read. I love the style of writing, as well, as the characters; so developed were they, I still think of them and I have long since finished the book! Wonderful, wonderful read! I can't wait for more!
Magdalena Gallegos

This Side of the Sky by Elyse Singleton is one of the best books I have ever read and I have been a reader all of my life. Her style of writing paints pictures in your mind while you are reading the story. You are there in the time and place where the story unfolds. Many times I would come to a wonderfully written passage and have to stop to absorb the bbeauty of her written words. I highly recommend this book to book lovers. M. Gallegos
angel parades

This is a story of two young black southern women determined to make life work for them. It is written in a fresh, intelligent, witty and honest voice, compelling and beautifully crafted. Singleton is a wonderful storyteller. I am waiting for more.
BookBrowse

BookBrowse - Davina
The first few chapters of this book washed over me a little - it seemed to be following a similar course to a number of other books that I've read recently set in the deep south during pre-WWII years. However, as I got to know the characters and they, and hence the story, escaped from the claustrophobic small town of the early chapters, I found myself increasing hooked - reading avidly to the end.
In short, I highly recommend this first novel from Elyse Singleton.
Leslie Morganstern

Dear Reader:

I was dissappointed with This Side of the Sky. The cover of the book lured me in. Once I start a book I finish it. And I finished this one. But I must say that this fairly convertional story left me feeling flat. Some of the writing was good, but there is just something missing and it's hard to pinpoint just what.

Leslie Morganstern

Portland, OR
Ebony Johnson

Highly Overrated
It's hard to like the two main characters. Didn't draw me in at all. The author was trying too hard to be cute and lyrical. Seemed like a poor attempt to write for black audiences. Readers would do well to pick another book to read.
stacy matusik

this book was really bad jk

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.25 per month.

• Book Jacket: Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting
    Iona Iverson's Rules for Commuting
    by Clare Pooley
    For the many years that I've been reading, one realization has always come to mind for me after ...
  • Book Jacket: We Had to Remove This Post
    We Had to Remove This Post
    by Hanna Bervoets
    It's not about money. Kayleigh, the protagonist and narrator of We Had to Remove This Post, a newly ...
  • Book Jacket: River of the Gods
    River of the Gods
    by Candice Millard
    The Nile River has provided vital resources for millennia, serving as a source of water, food and ...
  • Book Jacket: Horse
    Horse
    by Geraldine Brooks
    Geraldine Brooks creates a powerful backstory for 19th-century thoroughbred racehorse Lexington, ...

Hamnet
by Maggie O'Farrell
"Of all the stories...about Shakespeare’s life, [Hamnet] is so gorgeously written that it transports you."
The Boston Globe

Members Recommend

The Lies I Tell
    by Julie Clark

The new thriller from the New York Times bestselling author of The Last Flight!

Daughters of the Flower Fragrant Garden
    by Zhuqing Li

A beautifully woven family memoir that coalesces into a vivid history of two very different Chinas.

Win This Book!
Win Where the Crawdads Sing

Win a signed copy of Where the Crawdads Sing

In celebration of the movie release on July 15, we have three signed copies to give away.

T O Thing W H T F I F I