Reader reviews and comments on The Endurance, plus links to write your own review.

The Endurance

Nov 1998, 224 pages

There are currently 5 reader reviews for The Endurance

manjushri

My lesson in book
This is a very nice book.
Bill Bennett

In the grip
Amazing reconstruction of the voyage of the Endurance expedition to Antarctica in 1914-16.
Shackleton leads his men into peril amidst the pack ice and has to figure out what to do when it becomes clear the ice will prohibit successful completion of their mission.
The ice pack slowly envelops and grips the (now seemingly frail) ship on which they depend. The ice leaves them homeless and shipless, without radio communication, hundreds of miles from land and the possibility of rescue. Leadership, bravery, perseverance, ingenuity, resiliency and ...endurance.
A gripping read.
Tania Nielsen

Endurance.. in every way
This is a great story of hardship, loyalty and fight for survival. Very well told and very hard not to be impressed... or even in awe of Schackleton and his crew on The Endurance. Worth the read - indeed.
ASDF

This is a horrible book, the first 100 pages are sooo boring. But the book is good after it. The author needs to grab readers attention there.

Susan Hodos
A superb re-telling of a great tale of heroism and perseverance. Since my cruise to Antarctica in January 1995 which included a brief landing on Elephant Island, the Shackleton epic has consumed me. The author has done a fine job. I will be in New York this August, primarily to view first hand Mr. Hurley's photographs. This little-known tale of heroism deserves all the attention it can muster.

Join & Save $10!

Discover books that entertain, engage & enlighten. One-year membership: $29

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Book Collectors
    The Book Collectors
    by Delphine Minoui
    About halfway through The Book Collectors, I was disappointed. I came into the book with a ...
  • Book Jacket: Blue Sky Kingdom
    Blue Sky Kingdom
    by Bruce Kirkby
    Who hasn't dreamed of escaping all of the trappings of today's modern life and finding a secluded, ...
  • Book Jacket: My Heart Underwater
    My Heart Underwater
    by Laurel Fantauzzo
    Corazon — Cory — Tagubio is a Filipina-American teenager living with her family in ...
  • Book Jacket: Black Sun
    Black Sun
    by Rebecca Roanhorse
    Reading the first book in a series is always difficult because readers know that, by definition, it ...

The Blind Light
    by Stuart Evers

A multigenerational story about two families bound together by the tides of history.

The Exiles
by Christina Baker Kline

Win This Book!
Win Jack

Return to Gilead with Jack, the instant New York Times bestseller

Enter to win Marilynne Robinson's latest novel in her classic series.

I G I O Ear A O T O