Reader reviews and comments on The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint, plus links to write your own review.

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint

by Brady Udall

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint by Brady Udall

Apr 2001, 384 pages
    May 2002, 432 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint

Lydia (07/26/08)

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint
I love the idea of Edgar living his life in reverse, going from severe almost unendurable hardship to come "home" and be a child, something he deserved in the first fifteen years of his life. A refreshing and poignant ending. I was rooting for Edgar all along the way, praying perhaps that Art would be his dad, but the finding of Rosa was even better. Hope I didn't spoil the ending, readers. Once I started this book, I could not put it down. The characters are fully developed . The incidents although extreme are believeable in the course of Edgar's life. And one can believe that a boy whose head has been crushed by a mailtruck and survives can survive everything else thrown in his path. Truly a miracle. This book now sits next to my other favorite, The Secret Life of Bees. Thank you for some delightful and sometimes tearful and painful reading
Power Reviewer Kim (01/12/08)

Entertaining read
As has been mentioned elsewhere, this author's style is similar to John Irving's -- lots of quirky characters, unusual circumstances, by turns very funny & deeply moving (More like the World According to Garp Irving than the Owen Meany Irving.) I found it a good, quick read, with characters I cared about. I had the same problem with Udall that I have with some of Irving's novels, however. I don't find any real sympathy with the characters, and the situations become a little too outlandish. I wasn't sorry I read it, but wouldn't list it as one of the best books I've read this year (and it's only January).
vincent (09/17/04)

reading a novel is not my strong point. however, i was able to finish the entire book within 4 days. many thanks to its creator
Pamela J. Smith (03/21/04)

I heard parts of Miricle Life read on Public Radio while at work in a prison in Iowa. I became obsessed with being in the right place at the right time to hear the daily half hour readings read by Dick Estell, although given the nature of my job it was impossible to catch it every day! After I purchased the book I was immediatly sucked in and could not put it down. I guide all young inmates, with a sparkle in their eye, to this book. That way I have someone to discuss it with! Great book! Letting Loose The Hounds is it's equeal and can't wait for your next book! I am a 52 yr. old female.

All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: Strangers in Their Own Land
    Strangers in Their Own Land
    by Arlie Russell Hochschild
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    After receiving a letter from his childhood friend's father, Aaron Falk, a Melbourne police officer ...

The Sellout
by Paul Beatty

The first book by an American author to win the prestigious Man Booker Prize.

Caught in the Revolution
    by Helen Rappaport

I See You
    by Clare Mackintosh

Happiness belongs to the self sufficient

K Your F C