What readers think of The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint, plus links to write your own review.

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint

May 2002, 432 pages

There are currently 4 reader reviews for The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint

Lydia

The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint
I love the idea of Edgar living his life in reverse, going from severe almost unendurable hardship to come "home" and be a child, something he deserved in the first fifteen years of his life. A refreshing and poignant ending. I was rooting for Edgar all along the way, praying perhaps that Art would be his dad, but the finding of Rosa was even better. Hope I didn't spoil the ending, readers. Once I started this book, I could not put it down. The characters are fully developed . The incidents although extreme are believeable in the course of Edgar's life. And one can believe that a boy whose head has been crushed by a mailtruck and survives can survive everything else thrown in his path. Truly a miracle. This book now sits next to my other favorite, The Secret Life of Bees. Thank you for some delightful and sometimes tearful and painful reading
vincent

reading a novel is not my strong point. however, i was able to finish the entire book within 4 days. many thanks to its creator
Pamela J. Smith

I heard parts of Miricle Life read on Public Radio while at work in a prison in Iowa. I became obsessed with being in the right place at the right time to hear the daily half hour readings read by Dick Estell, although given the nature of my job it was impossible to catch it every day! After I purchased the book I was immediatly sucked in and could not put it down. I guide all young inmates, with a sparkle in their eye, to this book. That way I have someone to discuss it with! Great book! Letting Loose The Hounds is it's equeal and can't wait for your next book! I am a 52 yr. old female.
Kim

Entertaining read
As has been mentioned elsewhere, this author's style is similar to John Irving's -- lots of quirky characters, unusual circumstances, by turns very funny & deeply moving (More like the World According to Garp Irving than the Owen Meany Irving.) I found it a good, quick read, with characters I cared about. I had the same problem with Udall that I have with some of Irving's novels, however. I don't find any real sympathy with the characters, and the situations become a little too outlandish. I wasn't sorry I read it, but wouldn't list it as one of the best books I've read this year (and it's only January).

Join BookBrowse

Today's Top Picks

• Book Jacket: The Code Breaker
    The Code Breaker
    by Walter Isaacson
    What makes humans human? It's a mystery that has inspired philosophers and driven scientific ...
  • Book Jacket: Genesis
    Genesis
    by Guido Tonelli
    Popular science books represent an important niche in non-fiction. They build a bridge between ...
  • Book Jacket: Buses Are a Comin'
    Buses Are a Comin'
    by Charles Person, Richard Rooker
    Charles Person was just 18 years old in 1961 when he became the youngest of the first wave of '...
  • Book Jacket: Firekeeper's Daughter
    Firekeeper's Daughter
    by Angeline Boulley
    Angeline Boulley's young adult novel Firekeeper's Daughter follows 18-year-old Daunis — ...

The Girl in His Shadow
by Audrey Blake
The story of one woman who believed in scientific medicine before the world believed in her.

Ariadne
    by Jennifer Saint

A mesmerizing debut novel about Ariadne, Princess of Crete for fans of Madeline Miller's Circe.

A Theater for Dreamers
    by Polly Samson

A spellbinding tour-de-force about the beauty between naïveté and cruelty, artist and muse.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place

A S I T closet