Reader reviews and comments on The Trouser People, plus links to write your own review.

The Trouser People

A Story of Burma in the Shadow of the Empire

by Andrew Marshall

The Trouser People by Andrew Marshall

Mar 2002, 256 pages
    Jul 2003, 320 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Trouser People

Peter Armstrong (06/11/04)

Having read and tyhoroughly enjoyed the book The Trouser People, I can recommend it to anyone who enjoys travelling in post colonial coun tries in South East Asia. Parts bring to mind Paul Theroux's Railway Bazaar and his journey north of Mandalay by train. I have been to Burma several times and have also encountered the Secret Police ( in non too friendly circumstances, innocently going somewhere I later found out was out of bounds for tourists). I like the way the author evokes the quirkiness of Burma and its different peoples. I particularly enjoyed his description of May Town, now called Maymeo, a hill station north of Manadalay. and its pre WW2 suburban Home Counties gentility which I absolutely loved. His meeting with the Heir to the Throne was enchanting and describes the offe beat and eccentric nature of Bumese people.
Really recommend it to anyone who's been there or thinking of going.

All Tomorrow's Parties
    by Rob Spillman
  • Book Jacket: Strangers in Their Own Land
    Strangers in Their Own Land
    by Arlie Russell Hochschild
  • Book Jacket: The Dry
    The Dry
    by Jane Harper
    After receiving a letter from his childhood friend's father, Aaron Falk, a Melbourne police officer ...

A Piece of the World
    by Christina Baker Kline

Home Sweet Home
    by April Smith

From the widely praised author of the FBI Special Agent Ana Grey series, a stunning novel set in the McCarthy era.

We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are

K Your F C