Reader reviews and comments on The Trouser People, plus links to write your own review.

The Trouser People

A Story of Burma in the Shadow of the Empire

by Andrew Marshall

The Trouser People by Andrew Marshall

Mar 2002, 256 pages
    Jul 2003, 320 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Trouser People

Peter Armstrong

Having read and tyhoroughly enjoyed the book The Trouser People, I can recommend it to anyone who enjoys travelling in post colonial coun tries in South East Asia. Parts bring to mind Paul Theroux's Railway Bazaar and his journey north of Mandalay by train. I have been to Burma several times and have also encountered the Secret Police ( in non too friendly circumstances, innocently going somewhere I later found out was out of bounds for tourists). I like the way the author evokes the quirkiness of Burma and its different peoples. I particularly enjoyed his description of May Town, now called Maymeo, a hill station north of Manadalay. and its pre WW2 suburban Home Counties gentility which I absolutely loved. His meeting with the Heir to the Throne was enchanting and describes the offe beat and eccentric nature of Bumese people.
Really recommend it to anyone who's been there or thinking of going.

• Book Jacket: Happiness
    Happiness
    by Heather Harpham
    Of the 53 reviews submitted for Happiness, 49 readers rated it a four- or five-star book for an ...
    My Name Is Leon