Reader reviews and comments on The Dive From Clausen's Pier, plus links to write your own review.

The Dive From Clausen's Pier

by Ann Packer

The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer X
The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

Apr 2002, 384 pages
    Apr 2003, 384 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Dive From Clausen's Pier

Lindsay

This was a great novel and I am so happy it found its way into my life. I recommend it for all people in need of a good book.
Stefanie

I am a high school student and I read this book in preparation for a book report I have to do. It was a great book and I would recommend it to people of all ages. Many people who have reviewed this book online said they don't like it, but I disagree. I really enjoyed reading it and I encourage everyone to do the same.
Brownstone

I read this book, not knowing what to expect. I didn't read any of the reviews online until after I finished it. It seems that most people do not like this book.

I have read complaints that the Carrie's character didn't change, didn't develop throughout the book. On the contrary, I saw/felt changes within her. The book is broken into three parts. The middle part is the change. The first and third parts she remained stagnant. I, personally thought that was good - it was showing she was settling back, going back to her old life, her roots.

I loved this book.

I grew up near Madison. The author didn't use typical Midwestern stereotypes to build the characters (well, not completely anyway).

It was, indeed, thought provoking. Having to make a decision like that at such a young age, so many would have done the same thing she did. And I think the ending was plausible. It wasn't far-fetched, it wasn't a fairy tale.
jan mayrick

A superbly written and beautifully crafted novel about love, loyalty, and the difficult choices one has to make in order to be true to oneself.
Lorrie

I enjoyed the book; however it was not great literature. I felt Carrie did mature during the course of the book although everyone wanted something from her, and she had very little to give after the accident. Kilroy was a character who needed more explanation. He was very needy emotionally just as Mike was needy physically. The ending of the book needed clarification, or is the author going to write a sequel?
Julie

I was disappointed. I expected a more mature novel (sex doesn't make it mature, either). It reads like a trumped-up teen pot-boiler. I'll forget having read this in a few days. Also, as a Wisconsinite, I'm disappointed. The author seems to know nothing about the state and it's culture and people (especially Madison) except the geography she looked up in an atlas.

I was disappointed because Carrie seemed a static character throughout the book. As a matter of fact, I never saw much growth in any of the characters. There were opportunities for growth within Carrie's character, but it seemed to me that she took a passive way out of each dilemma. Carrie never seemed to learn from her relationships with Mike, Kilroy, Jamie and her mother, who could have provided some insight and reflection with her feelings remained very much a background character.

Dive from Clausen's Pier had the potential to be a great story, but I was left with the feeling that Carrie was at heart selfish and hadn't grown beyond selfishness--not just because of her relationship with Mike, but with all her relationships as she took from everyone, but seemed to feel no real obligation to give.
Louseey

We unanimously voted on this book for our book club pick--from reviews and the subject matter--thought it would be thought provoking and a great read. However, no one in our group liked this book--some couldn't even get through it. We found none of the characters likeable. Unfotunate because it is a great premise.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...
    The Dutch House
    by Ann Patchett

The Dutch House is my introduction to Ann Patchett, which, after reading it, surprises me. I had ...

• Book Jacket: Nights When Nothing Happened
    Nights When Nothing Happened
    by Simon Han
    A quiet atmosphere of dread permeates Simon Han's subdued debut novel Nights When Nothing Happened. ...
  • Book Jacket: Take It Back
    Take It Back
    by Kia Abdullah
    In Kia Abdullah's novel Take It Back, sexual violence advisor Zara Kaleel becomes involved in a case...

The Prophets
    by Robert Jones Jr.

A stunning debut novel about the forbidden union between two enslaved young men on a Deep South plantation.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

Waiting for the Night Song
by Julie Carrick Dalton
A startling and timely debut about friendships forged in childhood and ruptured by the high price of secrets.
Win This Book!
Win The House on Vesper Sands

The House on Vesper Sands by Paraic O'Donnell

Introducing a detective duo for the ages who unlock the secrets of a startling Victorian mystery.

T T T Light F