MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Dive From Clausen's Pier, plus links to write your own review.

The Dive From Clausen's Pier

by Ann Packer

The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer X
The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

Apr 2002, 384 pages
    Apr 2003, 384 pages

There are currently 8 reader reviews for The Dive From Clausen's Pier

Lindsay

This was a great novel and I am so happy it found its way into my life. I recommend it for all people in need of a good book.
Stefanie

I am a high school student and I read this book in preparation for a book report I have to do. It was a great book and I would recommend it to people of all ages. Many people who have reviewed this book online said they don't like it, but I disagree. I really enjoyed reading it and I encourage everyone to do the same.
Brownstone

I read this book, not knowing what to expect. I didn't read any of the reviews online until after I finished it. It seems that most people do not like this book.

I have read complaints that the Carrie's character didn't change, didn't develop throughout the book. On the contrary, I saw/felt changes within her. The book is broken into three parts. The middle part is the change. The first and third parts she remained stagnant. I, personally thought that was good - it was showing she was settling back, going back to her old life, her roots.

I loved this book.

I grew up near Madison. The author didn't use typical Midwestern stereotypes to build the characters (well, not completely anyway).

It was, indeed, thought provoking. Having to make a decision like that at such a young age, so many would have done the same thing she did. And I think the ending was plausible. It wasn't far-fetched, it wasn't a fairy tale.
jan mayrick

A superbly written and beautifully crafted novel about love, loyalty, and the difficult choices one has to make in order to be true to oneself.
Lorrie

I enjoyed the book; however it was not great literature. I felt Carrie did mature during the course of the book although everyone wanted something from her, and she had very little to give after the accident. Kilroy was a character who needed more explanation. He was very needy emotionally just as Mike was needy physically. The ending of the book needed clarification, or is the author going to write a sequel?
Julie

I was disappointed. I expected a more mature novel (sex doesn't make it mature, either). It reads like a trumped-up teen pot-boiler. I'll forget having read this in a few days. Also, as a Wisconsinite, I'm disappointed. The author seems to know nothing about the state and it's culture and people (especially Madison) except the geography she looked up in an atlas.

I was disappointed because Carrie seemed a static character throughout the book. As a matter of fact, I never saw much growth in any of the characters. There were opportunities for growth within Carrie's character, but it seemed to me that she took a passive way out of each dilemma. Carrie never seemed to learn from her relationships with Mike, Kilroy, Jamie and her mother, who could have provided some insight and reflection with her feelings remained very much a background character.

Dive from Clausen's Pier had the potential to be a great story, but I was left with the feeling that Carrie was at heart selfish and hadn't grown beyond selfishness--not just because of her relationship with Mike, but with all her relationships as she took from everyone, but seemed to feel no real obligation to give.
Louseey

We unanimously voted on this book for our book club pick--from reviews and the subject matter--thought it would be thought provoking and a great read. However, no one in our group liked this book--some couldn't even get through it. We found none of the characters likeable. Unfotunate because it is a great premise.

• Book Jacket: When We Were Vikings
    When We Were Vikings
    by Andrew David MacDonald
    In When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald, readers are first introduced to Zelda on her ...
  • Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...
  • Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...

The Girl in White Gloves
    by Kerri Maher

A fascinating and deeply researched novel of the extraordinary Grace Kelly.

Red Letter Days
    by Sarah-Jane Stratford

A striking novel about two daring women who escape McCarthy-era Hollywood for London.

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

"American Dirt is a Grapes of Wrath for our times."
—Don Winslow

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I