Reader reviews and comments on Mortal Prey, plus links to write your own review.

Mortal Prey

by John Sandford

Mortal Prey

May 2002, 416 pages
    May 2003, 400 pages

There are currently 6 reader reviews for Mortal Prey

N. Schuetz (09/21/03)

In his 13th Lucas Davenport suspense novel, Mortal Prey, John Sandford pits his Minneapolis investigator against a killer-for-hire, Clara Rinker, first introduced in Certain Prey.
Rinker, who unsuccessfully tries to leave the crime world, returns to her profession after her fiance' and unborn baby are murdered by her former mob employers.
Throughout the book Davenport struggles between his sexual attraction and sympathy for this killer who is recovering from an abusive childhood, his duty to protect her targets, and admiration for her cunning methodology in completing her murderous tasks of revenge while outwitting her FBI pursuers.
John Sandford parallels the lives of Davenport and Rinker in a way that leaves the reader riveted to each quick-paced page. I couldn't help but root for both sides to win if only to ensure Clara's return to another Prey novel.
Be warned that neither Davenport nor Rinker are clear-cut good and evil characters. Sandford paints with many shades of gray--a quality that brings out their humanness and bonds them with the realistic reader.
This novel is well worth your time. However, to fully enjoy it, I recommend reading Certain Prey first.

TextMortal Prey
jpj (07/23/03)

This was my first Sandford book. I 've heard a lot about the 'Prey' books. It's a police book with FBI and local cops in a fast-paced chase to stop a hired killer who comes back to kill her former employers. Mostly the hero, Lucas Davenport, gets clues with the help of the hometown boys who find him easy to like, although he gets kidded for driving a porsche. I especially liked the characters of the hometown cops --being retired but wanting back in the 'game' so to speak. The woman hired gun keeps you guessing to the very end of the novel. If you like hardboiled action with a decent plot, Sandford is your guy. P.s. the cell phone bit would make a great movie scene...
Linda Proctor (06/06/03)

Have read all the Prey books and enjoy following Lucas as he
is challenged by different characters. Lucas and Rinker were my
favorite match in two of the Prey books. I will look forward to reading about Lucas's adventures as long as John keeps them coming.
Rebecca Hushagen (09/27/02)

Being of the working class, I found this book to be a great escape. Any Woman in one time or another has wanted to change her identity and do exciting things. I'm not saying that every one wants to be an assain, but the thrill and excitment of the antagonist in Mortal prey sets your imagination on fire.
Jim Haley (08/03/02)

John Sandford is one of my favorite authors and I hate to see his books end. Sandford's favorite hero drives his Porsche to and from crime sites but Sandford lets us read how the lady assassin drives a Mercedes Benz to and from crime sites.
Hero Lucas Davenport rescues the bumbling FBI while they commit one blunder after the other in their pursuit of Clara Rinker.
The only faux pas I saw was somebody involved in final proofing Sandford's manuscript permitted the printer to print both the corrected rewrite of a few paragraphs and the origional paragraphs--word for word. See pages 147-148 and pages 158-159.
I do not like to see misspelled words in national advertisements and other novels but to let us see duplicate paragraphs is really discouraging from a publishing house that has been around since 1835.
Regardless, I enjoyed the book and recommend Mortal Prey to all readers.
However Mr. Sandford should seek apologies from publisher and hope they do a better job of final proofing on his next book.

Comment from the publisher, received August 15th .... Actually, if you'll re-read pages 147-8 and 158-159 of MORTAL PREY, you'll find there's no mistake at all. It is the same phone call, but it's told from two different perspectives. The first time, it's from Rinker's point of view as she makes the call, and we also see her thoughts and reactions.
The second time, it's from Davenport's point of view as he receives it, and it's his thoughts and reactions that are presented. Same call, two different scenes.
We appreciate the close attention, though!
tatjana (05/23/02)

The Romanovs
    by Simon Sebag Montefiore

All Is Not Forgotten
    by Wendy Walker

This is fast-paced psychological suspense/thriller at it's very best.

The Imperial Wife
    by Irina Reyn

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All