MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Lamb, plus links to write your own review.

Lamb

Feb 2003, 256 pages

There are currently 14 reader reviews for Lamb

Mariner (10/03/11)

Good as it gets
This is probably the fist book that has ever made me laugh out loud to the point of tears. I couldn't get enough of it.
I honestly feel sorry for those people here that call his jokes "strained" or "frat boy". They should stop reading all together if they can't laugh at the ridiculous situations that he puts the man I solemnly studied as a young Catholic kid.
This is the most original historical fiction Ive ever read. I went on to read everything he's written.
I recommend this book every time I start talking about books with friends. Read it, I guarantee you belly laughs.
If you don't think it's funny, then you might want to look into a funny-bone transplant. Yours is broken.
Meg (10/15/09)

what a book
I don't know where to got that kind of sense of humor, keep it up I have read the book 4 times already.
Michael Pedder (06/15/08)

What a great read!
I picked this one up after reading, "You Suck" by the same author. Lamb was amazing. I have not enjoyed a book so much in a long time and I read a lot. I laughed more than I had in years and yet through all the laughing there were scenes which just stopped me in my tracks. For example; Mary washing Jesus' feet. Even with all the comedy you can see the authors love of Jesus Christ displayed everywhere.

That's all. If you haven't read it go grab a copy and when your done, read it again.
Thank you Mr. Moore.
Geoff Oldham (07/21/07)

Perfect comapnion piece for Anti-Christ: A Satirical End of Days
"Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal" is witty religious satire done in an entertaining way. Rather than worry about stepping on toes, Chris tells a fun, entertaining story whose merits are the ability to not only look at Jesus Christ and Christianity from a different angle, but to get to the heart of what it is to be human. Some Christians may find the storyline/plot of "Biff" insulting and heretical in its portrayal of Jesus, but this is simply fiction. There is not intent to smear Christ's name, to undermine his teachings, or to paint Christians in a negative life. This is a very human story.

Like Anti-Christ: A Satirical End of Days, I can see how on the surface the novel would turn off a large segment of the audience. Just have a little fun people. It's only a book.

Though I loved "Biff", I enjoyed Anti-Christ: A Satirical End of Days more. Whereas "Biff" and Moore tread lightly, "Anti-Christ" was willing to go much further and tell a deeper story. Highly symbolic, "Anti-Christ" decided to tell the tale of what has become of Christ's teachings. Thus it serves as the Omega to Moore's Alpha. "Biff" deals with the heart and beginnings of Christian belief and teachings while "Anti-Christ" deals with what has become of those same teachings in the modern day. You owe it to yourself to pick both up.
Krissy (03/23/07)

The Greatest and Best Book Ever Written!!!
I am an avid reader of all things, Stephen King was the number one for me, until I happened upon a tasty little trinket called Lamb. I was so surprised and stunned that I have never even heard of Christopher Moore or Lamb.

What a quick read. I was so angry when the book was finished, I wanted to read it again. I really enjoyed the time spent within the pages. I have suggested this book to EVERYONE I know and hope at least one of them reads it.

Stephen King shouldn't be worried. I am still his number one fan, but if Christopher Moore keeps it up I may have two fave authors.

Lamb Rules!!!!
Phil (02/22/07)

Lamb made me Laugh
My wife and I loved it. So did our 16 year old daughter. Do did my friend, as did my sister-in-law, and everyone I have recommended this book to.

Lamb is light entertainment, a fast read, and very enjoyable. It is at times crass and juvenile, but only in small bits, and usually because it is true to the portrayal of who Biff is. It is a very funny story that is heart-warming and entertaining.

This is my first Christopher Moore book, and it won’t be my last. I was sorry when the book ended.
Sicks (02/18/07)

Wow
This book is simply put - excellent! Is there any

plans of making this novel into a motion

picture...or perhaps a television series? I mean,

this book is funny, its informative, its sad, its a

great read! If you havent read this book i highly

recommend it to anyone who is even capable of

reading. Seriously. One of my personal favorites!
Alex Lewis (02/06/05)

This book is amazingly fun to read. Christopher Moore does an incredible job overcoming the difficult task of bringing slapstick (sometimes crass) humor to the story of Jesus, all the while keeping Jesus' integrity. I also loved the complex character of Biff, as rude and insulting as he comes off, you never doubt his love of his best friend Joshua (Jesus). As much as I laughed during the entire read, the scene of the crucifiction was so well written, it moved me to tears; not because of the divinity of Christ, but because of the true friendship between these two characters.
Another layer of this story, is the subtlety of the humor. When Joshua claims his love for bunnies, and that from now on when anything bad happens to him, he wants bunnies around? Pure genious! This book is a real gem.

• Book Jacket: The Loney
    The Loney
    by Andrew Hurley
    Landscape can be a writer's best friend. Whether it's the mountains of England's lake...
  • Book Jacket: The Mirror Thief
    The Mirror Thief
    by Martin Seay
    It is easy to see why Martin Seay's debut novel, The Mirror Thief, has been compared to David ...
  • Book Jacket: The Association of Small Bombs
    The Association of Small Bombs
    by Karan Mahajan
    The Association of Small Bombs is a fictional story that revolves around an actual 1996 car bombing ...

The Dark Lady's Mask
    by Mary Sharratt

Based on the life of the first professional woman poet in Renaissance England, and her collaboration with Shakespeare.

Win The Children

From NYT bestselling author Ann Leary

The captivating story of an unconventional New England family.

Girl Waits with Gun