MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Report From Ground Zero, plus links to write your own review.

Report From Ground Zero

Mar 2002, 256 pages
    Feb 2003, 400 pages

There is 1 reader review for Report From Ground Zero

Billie Zahurak

Our reading group chose any number of books related to the events of 9/11/01 for our September 2002 meeting and I chose this one by Dennis Smith. What spoke to me most about this book is the fact that firefighters, before all else, are family. It truly is a brotherhood. Each firefighter ached at the loss of life at the WTC that September morning. The first half of the book is very interesting and a great, detailed read. You get moment-by-moment accounts of what happened from the firefighters who lived through it. The second half of the book, however, isn’t as enthralling. The second half is more of Mr. Smith’s diary in the days following 9/11. Mr. Smith cannot help but let his opinion enter into his words, as well (and I’m not saying that’s a good or bad thing). I learned a lot from this book and am certainly glad to have read it.

• Book Jacket: Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    Daughters Of Smoke & Fire
    by Ava Homa
    Ava Homa's debut novel begins with an epigraph by Sherko Bekas, a Kurdish poet, the last lines of ...
  • Book Jacket: The Book of V.
    The Book of V.
    by Anna Solomon
    In ancient Persia, Esther, a young Jewish woman, parades herself in front of the king in a desperate...
  • Book Jacket: How to Be an Antiracist
    How to Be an Antiracist
    by Ibram X. Kendi
    Ibram X. Kendi opens How to Be an Antiracist with a personal story he finds shameful in retrospect, ...
    The Darwin Affair
    by Tim Mason
    Set in London in 1860, The Darwin Affair blends fact and fiction, imagining a string of murders ...

The Last Train to Key West
    by Chanel Cleeton

Romance and danger are locked into Cleeton's suitcase for this journey to 1935 Key West.

The Stone Girl
    by Dirk Wittenborn

A riveting tale of deception, vengeance, and power set against the haunting beauty of the Adirondacks.

The Beekeeper of Aleppo
by Christy Lefteri

This moving, intimate, and beautifully written novel puts human faces on the Syrian war.

Win Of Bears and Ballots

An Alaskan Adventure in Small-Town Politics

A charming account of holding local office with an entertaining, quirky cast of characters.

A S Louder T W