MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reviews by Mary O. (Boston, MA)

Small Days and Nights: A Novel
by Tishani Doshi
Multi cultural nuances (11/6/2019)
Set in modern India, an interesting story of different cultures, family challenges and life decisions we make. Definitely grasps you and plops you down in a foreign culture with its mores and nuances. A good read!
Remembrance
by Rita Woods
Special (11/6/2019)
I LOVED this book! This book is a study of superb character development and the interconnections between three special women. As you turn the pages, you become even more a participant in their lives and the characters continue to haunt you after the book is long done. A book everyone should read - a TOTAL JOY!!
Never Have I Ever
Thriller (6/10/2019)
A book very difficult to put down! I love psychological suspense thrillers and this one does not let you down. A great summer beach read!!!
The Lost Man
by Jane Harper
Engrossing (11/28/2018)
I loved this mystery as it embodies intense, powerful suspense set against the backdrop of remote Western Australia. It delves into how our childhoods define our family lives in the present. A page turner that you do not want to put down!!
Our House
by Louise Candlish
Twisted (7/11/2018)
A book full of twists and turns and unexpected events. It is difficult to put down and a great summmer read! I highly recommend it!
Love and Other Consolation Prizes: A Novel
by Jamie Ford
A Delight! (8/9/2017)
Based on a true story, this book's background is the Seattle 1909 World's Fair and an orphan boy who is raffled off as the prize. The tale has moments of celebration, heartbreak, grief and friendship where you truly see that everything in life has a price. I loved Hotel on Corner of Bitter and Sweet and this is NO disappointment! Enjoy!
Edgar and Lucy
by Victor Lodato
Gripping (1/11/2017)
I loved this book that captures childhood and parenthood. It is beautifully written, engrossing and difficult to put down. It evokes a range of emotions and shows creativity at its best. Definitely a great read!
The Tea Planter's Wife
by Dinah Jefferies
A Ceylon Experience (8/3/2016)
As usual I find myself in love with an unforgettable debut novel! The Tea Planter's Wife is a riveting, mesmerizing story of the intricacies of colonialism and how race can haunt it. Numerous secrets cloud the past and present. This is a beautifully written page turner and joy to read. I hated it to end!
The Secret Language of Stones: A Daughters of La Lune Novel
by M. J. Rose
A great read (4/21/2016)
I love to be transported to far away lands especially Romantic Paris at the turn of the century. This book is a historical romance, a mystery and great character development of a strong minded woman. Thoroughly enjoyable and a page turner. I highly recommend it!
Every Anxious Wave
by Mo Daviau
Not my kind of book! (12/3/2015)
I chose to read Every Anxious Wave because it looked original, creative and different from what I typically read. For someone into rock bands, it is entertaining. I found myself having a hard time keeping focused and getting through the book. it was just not for me!!!
Trust No One: A Thriller
by Paul Cleave
Riveting (7/8/2015)
A brilliant novel with twists and turns that make it hard to put down. It is a perfect summer beach read. The addition of the backdrop of early onset Alzheimer's adds another dimension to this murder mystery. I thoroughly enjoyed this book!!! Highly recommended
The Shore: A Novel
by Sara Taylor
Series of vignettes (7/8/2015)
A beautifully written series of vignettes that weave in and out of the characters' lives. I love debut novels and this is a special treat!
The Well
by Catherine Chanter
Hard to put down! (3/24/2015)
I love debut novels and think that most of the time they are the author's best effort. This is a wonderful beautifully written first novel with unique twists and turns. The style of writing and character development is first rate. One of the BEST novels I have read in a long time!!! A real joy!
Shocking Paris: Soutine, Chagall and the Outsiders of Montparnasse
by Stanley Meisler
Life seen through art (2/12/2015)
A wonderful and informative history that reads like a novel.
This book spotlights Jewish artists in the "School of Paris" considered outsiders whose art portrayed their struggle to survive in a life of fear and despair during WWII German occupation. Antisemitism is clearly reflected through their art. A great read for art history and WWII buffs!
The Nightingale
by Kristin Hannah
A Pageturner! (10/31/2014)
I love to read historical fiction and get totally absorbed in the characters and times. The Nightingale is an engrossing, well developed account of two sisters in WWII occupied France. One of the BEST reads I have had lately. Never a dull moment!!!
Her
by Harriet Lane
Slow but engaging (6/12/2014)
A very slow start which had me re-reading the first few chapters. I expected a more compelling thriller and better character development. The storyline was interesting but needed more "oomph". I would recommend it as a quick beach read!!!!
In Praise of Hatred
by Khaled Khalifa
True Hatred (3/14/2014)
The title "in Praise of Hatred" perfectly describes the book and it's characters. Sequestered in a small home, three aunts and the protagonist live in a world of vicious hate. At times disturbing but well drawn out characters reflecting the conflicts in the Muslim world and Middle East. A book people should read to gain insight into that tragic world.
The Cairo Affair
by Olen Steinhauer
Twists and Turns (1/15/2014)
This is a multiple-faceted spy novel of international espionage set in the a Middle East. It is fast paced, at times a real page turner, with some unexpected twists and turns. There is good character development and depiction of the culture in the Middle East. A very enjoyable read if you are a lover of espionage novels!
Letters from Skye
by Jessica Brockmole
The Lost Art of Letter Writing (7/9/2013)
As you pick up Letters from Skye and get engrossed in the love story against the backdrop of war, you suddenly realize that written letters are no longer the preferred method of communication. This is a captivating novel told through letters. You instantly are transcended to Elsbeth's and Davey's individual worlds and feel like you are writing the letters and living their lives. You grow to love the characters through their writing. I highly recommend this book - I LOVED IT!
Children of the Jacaranda Tree
by Sahar Delijani
Heart and soul (3/21/2013)
My favorite books are typically debut novels and this one captured my heart. Beautifully written in a poetic sense showing the depth of Sahar's soul and spirit. It describes post revolutionary Iran through the eyes of 3 characters with past and present intertwined. Highly emotional, both sad and uplifting, at times heartbreaking, but you come away feeling the resiliency of the characters and a true sense of hope. I highly recommend that all read this!

• Book Jacket: The Resisters
    The Resisters
    by Gish Jen
    Gish Jen's The Resisters depicts a future United States, dubbed AutoAmerica, where climate change ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mercies
    The Mercies
    by Kiran Millwood Hargrave
    It's 1617 and a violent storm has claimed the lives of 40 fishermen off the coast of Vardø, a ...
    Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree
    by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani
    Ya Ta, the main character in Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani's novel, Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree, ...
  • Book Jacket: Run Me to Earth
    Run Me to Earth
    by Paul Yoon
    Suspenseful and elegant storytelling in Run Me to Earth kept me turning pages even through traumatic...

And They Called It Camelot
    by Stephanie Marie Thornton

An unforgettable portrait of American legend Jackie O.

I Want You to Know We're Still Here
    by Esther Safran Foer

"A vivid testimony to the power of memory."
    - Kirkus (starred review)

The Things They Carried
by Tim O'Brien

The classic, ground-breaking meditation on war and the redemptive power of storytelling.

Win Mostly Dead Things

Mostly Dead Things
by Kristen Arnett

"Hilarious, deeply morbid, and full of heart."
- BuzzFeed