Beyond the Book
Charities That Save Lives
The United Nations
International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) estimates that 27,000
children die every day from preventable, poverty-related causes.
The Life You Can Save website has links to relief
organizations that Singer has examined for effectiveness and transparency:
- GiveWell leads the campaign for evaluating the effectiveness of aid organizations and
your donation can go, via GiveWell, to the organization they judge to be most
- The Fistula Foundation
treats the obstetric injury that ruins the lives of young Ethiopian women but can easily
be repaired by modern surgical techniques.
- The Worldwide Fistula Fund
provides for the treatment of fistula in poor African countries.
- A $50 donation to the
Fred Hollows Foundation can restore the sight of a person who could
not otherwise afford the surgery.
- Interplast is
highly recommended by GiveWell for its life-changing surgery for those with
- Partners in Health was founded by Paul Farmer (profiled in
Mountains Beyond Mountains) to assist his clinic treating the rural poor in Haiti.
- For those who believe that there is no solution to poverty without
direct efforts to reduce population growth, a donation to the
International Planned Parenthood Federation
is a good investment.
- Millennium Promise
supports the Millennium Villages Project, led by Jeffrey Sachs, and designed to
show that the UN's Millennium Development Goals can be met in rural areas at a modest
- Namlo International helps people
in remote rural areas of Nepal and Nicaragua to build and run schools for
children who would otherwise have no opportunity to get an education.
- The United Nations
Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF ) undertakes anti-poverty projects aimed at
children in many developing countries.
- Vegfam provides funds for self-supporting sustainable food projects and safe drinking
water, in ways that do not exploit animals or the environment.
- Oxfam International
is one of the leading organizations combating poverty in developing
- Population Services International (PSI)
distributes bednets and condoms in developing countries where malaria and
HIV/AIDS are major risks to life.
- Opportunity International
is a microcredit organization rated highly by GiveWell.
- Global Giving
connects donors with community-based projects in all regions of the world.
- Transparency International
campaigns against corruption - a key cause of poverty in many developing
Learn more about Peter Singer and his other books, notably
This article was originally published in April 2009, and has been updated for the
September 2010 paperback release.
Click here to go to this issue.
This article is available to non-members for a limited time. You can also read these articles for free. For full access become a member today.
- "Beyond the Book" backstories
- Free books to read and review (US only)
- Find books by time period, setting & theme
- Read-alike suggestions by book and author
- Book club discussions
- and much more!
- Just $10 for 3 months or $35 for a year
- More about membership!