Charities That Save Lives
The United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) estimates that 27,000 children die every day from preventable, poverty-related causes.
The Life You Can Save website has links to relief organizations that Singer has examined for effectiveness and transparency:
- GiveWell leads the campaign for evaluating the effectiveness of aid organizations and your donation can go, via GiveWell, to the organization they judge to be most effective.
- The Fistula Foundation treats the obstetric injury that ruins the lives of young Ethiopian women but can easily be repaired by modern surgical techniques.
- The Worldwide Fistula Fund provides for the treatment of fistula in poor African countries.
- A $50 donation to the Fred Hollows Foundation can restore the sight of a person who could not otherwise afford the surgery.
- Interplast is highly recommended by GiveWell for its life-changing surgery for those with ...