Little Known Facts About Stalin
- Born Josef Vissarionovich Djugashvili in 1878, Stalin had as many as forty names, nicknames,
bylines and aliases throughout his life. He did not start to use the name
Stalin, meaning man of steel, until
- Stalin began writing poetry while at school (mainly in a romantic-pastoral style that was the convention for Georgian poets in the 1890s), and continued to write until his death at age 74 in 1953. The dictator was also a keen gardener, growing lemons, tomatoes, roses and mimosas.
- Hitler and Stalin both had abusive fathers.
- Stalin's wife, Nayda, committed suicide at age 31 (1932) and son, Yakov, committed suicide at age 36 (1943).
- In his early years, Stalin often avoided arrest for bank robberies by dressing in drag. In 1913 a secret policeman spotted Stalin's big shoes under a long dress, resulting in four years exile in Siberia, where winter lasts nine months a year with temperatures as ...