Reader reviews and comments on The Glass Castle, plus links to write your own review.

A Memoir

By Jeannette Walls

• Hardcover: Mar 2005,
    Paperback: Jan 2006,

There are currently 170 reader reviews for The Glass Castle

deborah (07/22/13)

Dialogue not believable
I am a quarter of the way through and already find the book not believable. The level of dialogue for a 3 year old is silly. It is much too sophisticated and much too advanced. Furthermore, nobody remembers their 3 year old self in such detail. She has really elevated her 'maturity' in this book to carry on dialogue and make observations about life that are very adult-like. The book is a turn-off. I will read it as a dramatization- but certainly not as a full memoir.
hillary_marie (11/16/12)

The Glass Castle
As I was reading this deeply sad book, I kept wondering to myself, could anything else really happen to this family. It is a true story full of shocking, sometimes disturbing, scenes of the life of a little girl and her interesting family. I personally think the book was somewhat hard to finish, but nonetheless, still a good book because of the shock factor.
Bebemangzu (08/08/12)

It's a book worth reading and recommending to others!
She's a really good writer. Her choice of words and ways of descriptions that tell of her experience growing up stirred me to keep reading. At times, I found myself angry at her parents, sad and happy about the things that she endured, laughing at how creative she is, and altogether, thinking about my own life.
Courtney Craig (07/27/12)

Undescribable
Some stir hearts with pictures.
Some with dance.
Some with song.
And some can move your entire being,
creep into the very crevices of your soul,
with words.

Jeannette Walls did just that. The Glass Castle will be a work of art, a bold statement of raw life, that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

In other words, I bawled like a baby.
bobbie d (06/14/12)

It's Real
Our book club really liked this book. Couldn't believe that it is a true story! But I guess no one could make this up. This is one of the craziest disfunctional families ever. The father had dreams that would never happen, hence, The Glass Castle. When money became available, they found ways to waste it! All through the book, I kept thinking that this was fiction! The author is the daughter! She survived!
Laurie (06/05/12)

Wonderful
This is a wonderful story of triumph and trial. There are more than one occasions that could have changed any of these people in an extremely negative way, the author just pushes through in telling the story. She doesn't become bogged down in the process, AMAZING READ!
Charlotte Cunningham (01/16/12)

A great memoir
While I was at work a few days ago, one of my co workers said Hey Charlotte after I read your memoir Why? it made me think of another memoir called The Glass Castle, I think you should read it. Wow, I just finished The Glass Castle. It is a great memoir and reminds me a lot of my life growing up. God bless you Jeannette...Love Charlotte Cunningham
Jennifer W (12/06/11)

Clinching
The Glass Castle was more than a page tuner. It paralyzes you from putting the book down! It has you clinching onto the pages to relive every memory Jeannette has from her childhood and leaves your mind wondering the rights and wrongs of parenting. When do actions speak louder than words? Allow the cultivating words to transport you into a world of disbelief filled with the strength and determination of a child.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove