Reading Guide Questions
Please be aware that this discussion guide may contain spoilers!
- Why do you think the characters are never assigned real names?
- Considering the harsh and fickle treatment Nan receives from Mrs. X, why
do you think she stays with the family?
- What kind of person do you think Grayer will grow up to be?
- Why do you think that Nanny told Mrs. X about Mr. X's mistress before she
left for good? Was it to protect her or was it for revenge?
- If you were Nanny's family (parents, grandmother, boyfriend) would you
support her decision to work for the X's? Consider her almost missing her
graduation, her time constraints with finding a new apartment, as well as her
emotional health and unfair compensation.
- Would you have spoken your mind on the teddy bear tape recorder before
leaving the X's household for good? Why do you think Nanny erased her initial
outburst? How long would you be able to hold your tongue if found in a
comparable work situation?
- If you had the money that the X's had and could enrich your child's life
with exotic foods, violin lessons, private schooling and French classes, would
you and why? What do you think is appropriate for a child and what crosses the
- How much responsibility should a nanny take in raising her employer's
child? Do you think Nanny will stay in the child-care profession after this
- Do you think this book is depressing or hopeful? How much is realistic vs.
imaginary (a stretch) in your opinion?
- If you employ domestic help, has this book changed your dialogue and/or
view of that relationship? What rules of nannying would you require if you
were hiring someone to take care of your child?
- Why do you think this book has struck a cord with readers at this time?
Copyright (c) 2002 St. Martin's Press. Written permission
is required to reprint or reproduce material from St. Martin's
Unless otherwise stated, this discussion guide is reprinted with the permission of St. Martin's Griffin.
Any page references refer to a USA edition of the book, usually the trade paperback version, and may vary in other editions.