What readers think of The Blood of Flowers, plus links to write your own review.

The Blood of Flowers

May 2008, 400 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Blood of Flowers

Amellia

Want to be taken away?
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I actually "listened" to the book, and was slightly concerned in the beginning. If you enjoy audio books, you might be able to understand. Sometimes you "like" the voice, and other times you "hate" the voice. In this case...I didn't enjoy the voice for about the first hour...then couldn't wait to hear her again!

The story itself is about a girl who is forced to mature very young. Her father dies and her mother must move her and her daughter away from their village in order to survive.

I really don't want to give anything away. But I will say the author allows the reader to use all of their senses while reading this book. I could taste the food, picture the colors in the rugs, feel the pain of the characters. I fell in love with the main character, although all her decisions were not "great" decisions. Then again, haven't we all made decisions we had to live with? Isn't the point to learn from your mistakes?

I picked this up because of a review I read somewhere. Since, I have hunted down the author hoping she had written other books...needless to say she hasn't. This shouldn't stop the readers of the world. This is a book you'll love.

I have read the other reviews (elsewhere) on this book. It appears this is a "love it" or "hate it" book. I have to say it does not have a "cut in stone" ending, that some book lovers must have. But I felt the ending was perfect. The point of this novel (in my opinion) is not the ending, but the story itself. Oh, how I will miss this book.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: The Book of Goose
    The Book of Goose
    by Yiyun Li
    Yiyun Li's The Book of Goose is a story of childhood friendship between narrator Agnès, a one-...
  • Book Jacket: Big Red
    Big Red
    by Jerome Charyn
    Jerome Charyn made his name as an author of detective novels, and over the years he has taken his ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery
  • Book Jacket: Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    by Sidik Fofana
    'Everybody got a story, everybody got a tale / Question is: Is it despair or prevail?' ...

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, the inspiring new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

Book Club Giveaway!