MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on The Blood of Flowers, plus links to write your own review.

The Blood of Flowers

May 2008, 400 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Blood of Flowers

Amellia

Want to be taken away?
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I actually "listened" to the book, and was slightly concerned in the beginning. If you enjoy audio books, you might be able to understand. Sometimes you "like" the voice, and other times you "hate" the voice. In this case...I didn't enjoy the voice for about the first hour...then couldn't wait to hear her again!

The story itself is about a girl who is forced to mature very young. Her father dies and her mother must move her and her daughter away from their village in order to survive.

I really don't want to give anything away. But I will say the author allows the reader to use all of their senses while reading this book. I could taste the food, picture the colors in the rugs, feel the pain of the characters. I fell in love with the main character, although all her decisions were not "great" decisions. Then again, haven't we all made decisions we had to live with? Isn't the point to learn from your mistakes?

I picked this up because of a review I read somewhere. Since, I have hunted down the author hoping she had written other books...needless to say she hasn't. This shouldn't stop the readers of the world. This is a book you'll love.

I have read the other reviews (elsewhere) on this book. It appears this is a "love it" or "hate it" book. I have to say it does not have a "cut in stone" ending, that some book lovers must have. But I felt the ending was perfect. The point of this novel (in my opinion) is not the ending, but the story itself. Oh, how I will miss this book.

• Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...
  • Book Jacket: Little Gods
    Little Gods
    by Meng Jin
    Little Gods, Meng Jin's intricate, emotionally intelligent debut, opens with a scene in which ...

American Dirt
    by Jeanine Cummins

A new American classic, and the first book to ever score a perfect 5-stars in BookBrowse's early reader program!

Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

American Dirt
by Jeanine Cummins

"American Dirt is a Grapes of Wrath for our times."
—Don Winslow

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I