Reader reviews and comments on The Blood of Flowers, plus links to write your own review.

The Blood of Flowers

May 2008, 400 pages

There is 1 reader review for The Blood of Flowers

Amellia

Want to be taken away?
I have to say I really enjoyed this book. I actually "listened" to the book, and was slightly concerned in the beginning. If you enjoy audio books, you might be able to understand. Sometimes you "like" the voice, and other times you "hate" the voice. In this case...I didn't enjoy the voice for about the first hour...then couldn't wait to hear her again!

The story itself is about a girl who is forced to mature very young. Her father dies and her mother must move her and her daughter away from their village in order to survive.

I really don't want to give anything away. But I will say the author allows the reader to use all of their senses while reading this book. I could taste the food, picture the colors in the rugs, feel the pain of the characters. I fell in love with the main character, although all her decisions were not "great" decisions. Then again, haven't we all made decisions we had to live with? Isn't the point to learn from your mistakes?

I picked this up because of a review I read somewhere. Since, I have hunted down the author hoping she had written other books...needless to say she hasn't. This shouldn't stop the readers of the world. This is a book you'll love.

I have read the other reviews (elsewhere) on this book. It appears this is a "love it" or "hate it" book. I have to say it does not have a "cut in stone" ending, that some book lovers must have. But I felt the ending was perfect. The point of this novel (in my opinion) is not the ending, but the story itself. Oh, how I will miss this book.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Stories from Suffragette City
    Stories from Suffragette City
    by M.J. Rose, Fiona Davis
    Our First Impressions readers were fascinated by the historical fiction from a range of authors ...
  • Book Jacket: The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie
    by Marie Benedict
    The Mystery of Mrs. Christie by Marie Benedict, notable author of previous historical fiction such ...
  • Book Jacket: To Be a Man
    To Be a Man
    by Nicole Krauss
    While, as its title hints, To Be a Man by Nicole Krauss is concerned with masculinity, it renders a ...
  • Book Jacket: The Office of Historical Corrections
    The Office of Historical Corrections
    by Danielle Evans
    In The Office of Historical Corrections, the second story collection from Danielle Evans, readers ...

At the Edge of the Haight
    by Katherine Seligman

Winner of the 2019 PEN/Bellwether Prize for Socially Engaged Fiction.

The Fortunate Ones
    by Ed Tarkington

An engrossing story of class, love, and loyalty for fans of Kevin Wilson's Nothing to See Here.

The Moment of Lift
by Melinda Gates
How can we summon a moment of lift for women? Because when you lift up women, you lift up humanity.

No pleasure is worth giving up for the sake of two more years in a geriatric home.

T M T C, T M T Stay T S