MLA Platinum Award Press Release

Reader reviews and comments on Origin, plus links to write your own review.

Origin

by Diana Abu-Jaber

Origin by Diana Abu-Jaber X
Origin by Diana Abu-Jaber

Jun 2007, 384 pages
    May 2008, 384 pages

There are currently 2 reader reviews for Origin

Kim

Not your typical mystery novel
There are two mysteries in “Origin,” one concerning the murder of infants, the other the “origin” of the main character. While the mysteries in the novel are compelling, the pace is slower than what you’d find in traditional mysteries. I also found one mystery rather predictable, with the tie-in to the second to be weak. Yet – I really liked the book! Abu-Jaber’s writing is rich with sumptuous descriptions and extremely strong characters. I highly recommend this book for readers who enjoy lush writing, who can appreciate a book simply because the author turns a beautiful phrase. “Origin” is likely to appeal to readers who enjoyed “Christine Falls” and “The Savage Garden.”
Deborah M

The reviewers are right!
The protagonist in this book is so well drawn that the plot is almost secondary. I cared so much for her and about her. Well written with an unusual plot twist. As a California transplant who was raised in "snow country," her descriptions of winter in Syracuse were almost enough to send me running for a comforter.

I really loved Lena and love this author. Give this book a try. You won't be disappointed!

• Book Jacket: How to Build a Heart
    How to Build a Heart
    by Maria Padian
    Maria Padian is well-known for her motif of exploring teen reactions to social issues. Her novel ...
  • Book Jacket: Follow Me to Ground
    by Sue Rainsford
    Ada and her father are human-like beings who age slowly and possess the power to heal all illness. ...
  • Book Jacket: Children of the Land
    Children of the Land
    by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
    In this exquisitely crafted memoir, Marcelo Hernandez Castillo describes coming of age as a young ...
  • Book Jacket: A Good Neighborhood
    A Good Neighborhood
    by Therese Anne Fowler
    After fictionalized biographies of Zelda Fitzgerald (Z, 2013) and Alva Vanderbilt (A Well-Behaved ...

Father of Lions
    by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

American Dirt
    by Jeanine Cummins

A new American classic, and the first book to ever score a perfect 5-stars in BookBrowse's early reader program!

Father of Lions
by Louise Callaghan

A true-to-life narrative of one man's remarkable quest to save the Mosul Zoo.

Win The Lost Family

The Lost Family
by Libby Copeland

A deeply reported look at the rise of home genetic testing and the seismic shock it has had on individual lives.

A F I Need I A F I