Reviews by CarolT

Power Reviewer  Power Reviewer

All the Lonely People
by Mike Gayle
A Keeper! (10/3/2022)
All the Lonely People was the first book I've read by Mike Gayle, but it won't be the last! Huburt Bird is right up there with Arthur TruLuv and Olive Kitteridge and Lucy Barton as the people I've most enjoyed getting to know.
The Last Nomad: Coming of Age in the Somali Desert
by Shugri Said Salh
Eye-opening (9/10/2022)
Shugri Said Salh had offered us a chance to see exactly what it was - or is - like to be a nomad in Somalia and then a refugee running from a war. So much to learn!
Lucy by the Sea: A Novel
by Elizabeth Strout
The pandemic (9/10/2022)
Elizabeth Strout does it again, walking us through what the pandemic meant to those who could protect themselves early on. As always, the characters feel like someone I might actually know.
One's Company: A Novel
by Ashley Hutson
Interesting concept (5/18/2022)
Hutson's debut is an interesting concept and she obviously did a lot of research. (How much Three's Company must she have watched?!) However, I had difficulty actually suspending my own disbelief.
Shadows of Berlin: A Novel
by David R. Gillham
Interesting main character (5/18/2022)
Thank heaven! At last, a post-WWII novel that isn't exactly like all the others.
French Braid: A novel
by Anne Tyler
Good afternoon's read (4/2/2022)
I'm not sure why, but this was my first Anne Tyler. I was pleasantly surprised and will be looking for more.
Surviving Savannah
by Patti Callahan
OK (4/2/2022)
A little slow to start and one of the early characters isn't important at all, which confused me. Otherwise, an average parallel historical/modern fiction.
Something to Hide: A Lynley Novel
by Elizabeth George
Breathtaking (3/15/2022)
Well worth the wait! Entry into a world most of us (thankfully) don't know, but that exists around us. Couldn't put it down.
Her Hidden Genius: A Novel
by Marie Benedict
Good history (2/23/2022)
Follows along in Benedict's usual course - good history, but so-so characters. I'm really interested in Rosalind Franklin, but Benedict's version is a flat, uninteresting woman who did remarkable things. There are hints Franklin was a more rounded woman, but I'll have to go to actual biographies for that. A novel should bring her out.
When Two Feathers Fell from the Sky
by Margaret Verble
Compelling (10/28/2021)
After the initial "set the stage" introduction (which was very interesting), Two Feathers seemed a little slow to start, but once I got past the chapters Margaret Verble needed for the backstory, I couldn't put it down. I'm off to find her earlier books.
Morningside Heights: A Novel
by Joshua Henkin
Real (9/29/2021)
Morningside Heights is very true to life as it happens - in a way that just pulled me in and held me.
The Wonder Boy of Whistle Stop
by Fannie Flagg
Couldn't put it down (9/6/2021)
When this book ended, I just wanted to start all over again with Fannie Flagg's first. She is exactly what I needed.
The Code Breaker: Jennifer Doudna, Gene Editing, and the Future of the Human Race
by Walter Isaacson
Fascinating (9/6/2021)
A must read. While Doudna is the focus, the real hero is RNA and all the folks who have so single-mindedly spent their lives understanding the genetic code and what that understanding means for all of us, in the context of the last 20 months.
Unwell Women: Misdiagnosis and Myth in a Man-Made World
by Elinor Cleghorn
Thorough, intriguing, readable (8/10/2021)
If you haven't read Unwell Women, put it on your list. Elinor Cleghorn has written a eminently readable, well-researched up to the minute history of medicine and women. While I can remember a great deal of the last 70 or so years, and had heard of much of the historical information, I found many new and intriguing facts.
Under a White Sky: The Nature of the Future
by Elizabeth Kolbert
But can we do anything? (7/31/2021)
As always, Kolbert has done her homework and takes the reader along from the easy to understand to the most difficult. If only we would actually DO something about extinction and climate...
Migrations: A Novel
by Charlotte McConaghy
Unputdownable! (7/26/2021)
I've found way too many highly rated books not nearly as good as their reviews. Migrations is exactly the opposite. One of the few books I've been unable to put down this year. Charlotte McConaghy is a writer to watch.
The Personal Librarian
by Marie Benedict, Victoria Christopher Murray
Didn't live up to reviews (7/18/2021)
I'm sorry to be a spoilsport, but The Personal Librarian didn't live up to its hype. While it probably was well-researched, I just couldn't seem to care about the main character - she was way too self-centered.
Code Girls: The Untold Story of the American Women Code Breakers of World War II
by Liza Mundy
Sorry I waited so long to read it! (7/1/2021)
I'm almost ashamed to say I'd been hearing about this book for years - and it sat on my TBR shelf almost as long. Liza Mundy has written a mesmerizing history of American's WWII female code breakers that makes me wish I'd been one of them.
The War Nurse: A Novel
by Tracey Enerson Wood
Good, not great (7/1/2021)
I was troubled by the fact that Julia Stimson was a real person, who really did serve in WWI, and really did do most of the terrific things in the book, yet the author felt compelled to add romantic interest that probably didn't occur and pulled in real people who may not have served with Stimson at all. I realize historical fiction is, in fact, fiction, but writing this book in the first person lent it an authenticity perhaps it shouldn't have had. That said, I did enjoy the book and might read another by Wood.
Ariadne
by Jennifer Saint
Surprised me (5/12/2021)
I am surprised. I didn't expect to like this book nearly as much as I did. Really, fiction based on Greek myths? Most tellings have left me cold - I couldn't get past the first few pages of Circe. Even books with supposedly newer plot lines have left me cold. But something about Ariadne.... I was surprised when it ended. I'll be watching for more from Jennifer Saint.

Join BookBrowse

and discover exceptional books
for just $3.75 per month.

• Book Jacket: The Book of Goose
    The Book of Goose
    by Yiyun Li
    Yiyun Li's The Book of Goose is a story of childhood friendship between narrator Agnès, a one-...
  • Book Jacket: Big Red
    Big Red
    by Jerome Charyn
    Jerome Charyn made his name as an author of detective novels, and over the years he has taken his ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Survive You
    If I Survive You
    by Jonathan Escoffery
  • Book Jacket: Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    Stories from the Tenants Downstairs
    by Sidik Fofana
    'Everybody got a story, everybody got a tale / Question is: Is it despair or prevail?' ...

The Bell in the Lake
by Lars Mytting

Members Recommend

Our Missing Hearts
    by Celeste Ng

From the author of Little Fires Everywhere, the inspiring new novel about a mother’s unbreakable love in a world consumed by fear.

Book Club Giveaway!