Reviews by lani

Power Reviewer  Power Reviewer

Sharks in the Time of Saviors
by Kawai Strong Washburn
Mythology and family tussles (5/4/2020)
Enter magical realism. Combine the mythology of the gods and their importance in the land of Hawaii. Produce a family that grapples about upholding their bonds to one another while escaping them and the land for freedom of a different sort. Bake for 376 pages. Serve to find the glue that binds the land and family making them healthier together than apart. The story begins when Noa falls overboard from a boat into a circle of sharks who save him and give him back to his parents whole and intact. Each chapter is narrated by a different character, from the mother, father and 3 children. Each grapples with their identity throughout the years, trying to understand themselves and the Hawaiian land that tugs at their soul. The book felt slow to me in the beginning and picked up pace midway. There is a lot of Hawaiian words that are not translated, leaving the reader to discern their meaning. I would give this 3.5 stars because I did enjoy it but the way the magic realism was characterized overwhelmed it for me.
Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line
by Deepa Anappara
A voice that is textured and enveloping (4/23/2020)
This was no popcorn thriller that pulled you to alarming heights. No, this was a book to savor slowly enjoying each sentence, sipping slowly to obtain the full body and essence. Her words spilled out with a sumptous resonance, along with piercing observations along the way.It was also one of the most clever and unusual books I have discovered in a long time. I found myself rolling the words around my tongue, tasting their heft and density.There are so many passages I underlined that I felt were exquisite, wanting to store them away safely for my lifetime. The beginning of the novel was eerily prescient when she was taking about the sounds of the city. During this period of coronavirus, I experience sound so differently and find myself quietly tuning in to the absence and presence of echoes and noise around me. The book itself, you can read about in the jacket cover, but I found that it doesn't even do this book justice. If you want a contemplative piece, you will be in your glory.
Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line
by Deepa Anappara
the slums of India (4/23/2020)
Because I adore India and have traveled there several times, I treasured the authenticity revealed in this novel. There are some who may be reluctant to read this because it is filled with poverty, class divisions, sadness, kidnapping ,and abandoned children. However, from my time there I found a richness of spirit that is reflected in the characters. Despite very difficult circumstances, the children who narrate this book were independent, bold, saucy, and determined. We follow a triumvirate of children whose mandatory schooling becomes disrupted due to family obligations and religious tensions, to a life brimming with ambiguity in their day to day life and their future expectations. When children in their neighborhood go missing, the trio attempt to become"detectives" and try to find the answers. Muslim and Hindu tensions arise, which is not dissimilar to what is happening in today's world. The characters felt true to reality, from the scavengers, the beggars, to the local police. Narrated by the children, it felt genuine and honest. This is a novel to explore the credible issues in slum areas, the plight of the children living there, and the power of murkiness regarding their future worlds.
A Good Neighborhood
by Therese Anne Fowler
not to be missed (3/15/2020)
This storyline is a real departure from Fowler's usual historical novels, but I think she has come up with a winner that could be adapted for one of Reese Witherspoon's movies. Book clubs will have a lot to discuss with the issues that are brought up in fast reading prose. The neighborhood was at peace with Valerie, a college professor of forestry and ecology devoting much time to her trees and outdoor plants. This single parent had a biracial son who was competent, mature and a senior in high school. Everything was smooth until the Whitmans moved in behind their property and tore all the trees down damaging the roots of her favorite oak tree, to put in a big swimming pool. He was the caricature of the swaggering successful business man who loved to emphasize his success with material goods. He also had a beautiful stepdaughter that had taken a viginity pledge until marriage. The story is told from the neighbors' perspective as if they are hovering over the scene, gossiping and commenting on the unraveling of events. Ugliness transpires, with lawsuits, violence, an unjust legal system, and an unwillingness to be colorblind. It is very much a reflection of today's America. May this book be another catalyst for frank discussion.
Children of the Land
by Marcelo Hernandez Castillo
the immigrants' invisibility (3/11/2020)
Today,March 11, the Supreme Court said" the Trump administration may continue its 'Remain in Mexico' policy for asylum seekers while lower court challenges continue, after the federal government warned that tens of thousands of immigrants amassed at the southern border.."Reading this one hour after I finished this powerful and haunting memoir it really hit home. Castillo came to the US as an undocumented 5 year old from Mexico with his family.What the author conveyed in a lyrical poetic fashion was an illumination like no other of the immigrant's dilemma . He never felt like he belonged in either country, felt invisible and was constantly in fear of his family's deportation. When his father was deported, he eventually went to see him after 10 years because he qualified for the DACA program. His constant anxiety only fueled his sense of cultural confusion. The book takes us through his shame, hope,love of family, and the very real process of documentation that immigrants must go through. Raw and unflinching, you will understand the world better if you read this now.
Conjure Women
by Afia Atakora
Slavery, women and hoodoo (3/9/2020)
Voodoo.Hoodoo.Healing.The Civil War.Mother/child love.Midwifery.Slavery.These are an intricate part of Atakora's debut novel so intimately expressed with breathtaking intensity. The time period is before and after the devastation of the Civil War expressed through the slaves and master of a Southern plantation. Three women dominate the picture, MayBelle, the original Conjure or healer, her daughter Rue, who becomes schooled in her mother's ways, and Varina, a childhood playmate born to Rue's master.Shifting between chapters designated as "Slaverytime" and "Freedomtime" the author displays a powerful reckoning of slavery life and its injustices in heartbreaking detail. What I loved about this novel is the immersive quality to her writing, as if the author had indeed been a ghost watching their worlds unfold. Many secrets unfold through the twists and turns of the novel, through "healing methods",the birth of a"bedeviled" child with intense black eyes, and a roving preacher who has secrets of his own. Part of me had trouble with the relationship between Varina and Rue. Varina was so despicable to me in many ways, but Rue loved her none the less. Read this for a bird's eye view of slavery and war that highlights the plight of men and women and the lives of three stunning women.
The Girl with the Louding Voice
by Abi Daré
Female empowerment (2/11/2020)
May this 14 year old Nigerian girl never leave the imprint of her struggle, her humanity and her bravery from my brain. As she narrates how her world widens from her poor home in her village to the city of riches in Lagos, one watches the unfolding of the chrysalis becoming a butterfly. She dreams of becoming a teacher but her dreams were decimated when her mother died and her father married her to an older man in order to have money to support himself and his other two boys. As she continues to struggle through life, I was torn at my very being by her goodness, forbearance and compassion even when she was subjected to many abuses of the spirit and the body. Written in a broken English style, it was easy to immerse into this pattern and made the book feel more authentic. Not only was it a story of strength and empowerment, but the author made you feel you found the pulse that composes Nigeria. Seriously, I cannot recommend this book more highly.
Dear Edward
by Ann Napolitano
A surprising tender read (1/25/2020)
When I read the premise of the book, I couldn't imagine appreciating it. Why did I want to read about a plane crash of 191 people where only a 12 year old boy survived? It felt depressing just twirling these words around my tongue. However, I was in for one sweet surprise. The novel introduces us to the complicated lives of the other passengers, told in alternating chapters,which are then counterbalanced with the softheartedness of other parts. The media blitz does not leave the young boy alone; he will never be the "normal" kid again. But we watch as Eddie becomes Edward and his physical and psychological healing is delicately displayed. His empathy to others as he tries to find his place in the world is a lovely thing to behold, gentle and sweet. And his sidekick Shay who he meets when he comes to live with his aunt and uncle is a refreshing counterpunch, a breath of fresh air, as a cheeky adolescent. All in all, a more compassionate read then I had expected.
American Dirt: A Novel
by Jeanine Cummins
A jewel embedded in stone (11/12/2019)
Blurbs have covered the stratosphere heralding the publication of this novel. I am here to tell you that these comments are not hyperbole; all of them are well deserved. Simplistically, it is the story of one woman's heart wrenching flight from Mexico with her young son to El Norte to escape the cartel and its spiteful drug lord. The horror of the first chapter alone is enough to put one over the edge. However, it is the prose and the dramatic tension throughout that propel the dynamism of the novel. Cummins shines a lens on our own biases lumping all migrants together, and helps us understand the harrowing ordeal that they encounter to try and escape persecution. How sobering to think that she must have written this a few years before the issues that confront us today were not staring us in the face painfully day after day after day. It is also the story of a mother's deep love for her child that tugged at my heart's drawstrings with an aching hurt. This is a fabulous book for book groups but you might want a lot of wine to get you through the discussion.
Patsy: A Novel
by Nicole Dennis-Benn
Defining oneself (5/20/2019)
Nicole Dennis-Benn writes with such color and vividness that makes her characters and dialogue sparkle. Immersion into Patsy's world is lining the streets with patois, teenage sex and pregnancies, lesbianism, and the need to forge ahead and elevate themselves. Patsy has a job as government worker with little opportunities for advancement. Engaging in sexual activity early, she becomes pregnant with Tru, while still a child herself. Feeling boxed in, she applies to go visit her dear friend Cicely in the USA but with no intention of returning home. When she finally gets there things are not what she had hoped for and she spends her life grasping at the American dream, only to find it elusive. It becomes harder and harder to connect with her daughter whom she literally ran away from. Tru, meanwhile has grown up scarred by her mother's absence until an incident pushes her over the wall. Told with profound truth, this is a mesmerizing story about motherhood and sacrifice, finding oneself, and the plight of women who must jump hoops to preserve their legitimacy; but mostly this is a story of LOVE...keenly felt and wonderfully appreciated. Do not miss this one!
When We Left Cuba
by Chanel Cleeton
One to watch! (12/14/2018)
When I finished Next Year in Havana, I had hoped that Cleeton would write another novel regarding Cuba. We can now jump for joy that Beatrice Perez is back in action, entertaining us with her fiery strong character and passionate beliefs. Whereas the previous book focused more on the revolution, this novel is equally part romance, espionage, and the events subsequent to the revolution and its fallout.

Truthfully I was afraid that the romantic aspects of the novel would weaken the strength of the historical and familial aspects but that was far from the truth. Her writing is taut, crisp and contributes to making this a solid entry onto one's
"keeper" shelf.

Though it can be read as a stand alone, the reader will find more satisfaction and depth if one reads the previous novel first. In this story, Beatrice becomes involved with a senator, while willfully objecting to her mother's plans to marry her off into high society. This independent woman is not to be trifled with and has never relinquished her anger at the brutal murder of her twin brother in Cuba. She vows to return one day while imagining how she can help fight the Fidel regime.

Mesmerizing in its plot and scope, this compelling read is sure to be on everyone's lists and bring a smile to one's face reflecting on this spirited and brave heroine.
The Care and Feeding of Ravenously Hungry Girls
by Anissa Gray
Absorbing family dynamics (9/30/2018)
An amazing debut with such authenticity and well developed characters. I became so invested in their lives, feeling like I was in the middle of the turmoil, exquisitely feeling their heartache. The parents, Althea and Porter are upstanding citizens who run a restaurant, until they are charged with a scam and sentenced to prison. This becomes the pivotal nexus on which their sisters, brother and children deal with the complex issues that each of them face within the family structure. Having worked with women in an eating disorders treatment center, I found Olivia's internal dialogue and coping skills regarding her bulimia very genuine, bringing me to tears. The shame of incarceration, the struggle to define oneself within a family covered with warts and all, and the bond that underlines it all made this novel destined to be put on a keeper shelf.
Sold on a Monday
by Kristina McMorris
Heartbreaking tale out of the Depression era (7/25/2018)
Simply put I.LOVED.THIS.BOOK..If it weren't for the hour I would have read it straight through the night but still ended up finishing this within 24 hours. Heartwarming and all the more poignant as the impetus for the story was based on a real photograph that the author discovered on the computer. In this page turner of the highest order, the action begins 1n 1931 when a young reporter happens upon a house where two young boys are sitting. Near them scribbled in chalk was a sign, 2 children for sale. Horrified by the ramifications of this he snapped the picture, beginning the unraveling of what was to unfold. Enter Lily the Philly Examiner's secretary who saw the picture in the darkroom and brings it to the boss's attention. Lily has her own secrets that she has fought hard to keep from the general public, becoming another side issue to the unfolding story. When the photograph's original is destroyed, the reporter ends up staging the photo, leading to a domino effect that affects all participants.A wonderful story of family, a mother's love and the many paths to healing.
American by Day
by Derek B. Miller
a quirky erudite gem (6/3/2018)
A piercing commentary on America seen through Norwegian eyes makes this novel one of the best of the year. I found myself relishing this book, rolling each word over my tongue, tasting it, digesting it and oh so appreciating it. Take one smart ass sheriff and mix it with an erudite logical police officer (Sigrid)from Norway and you have the basis for a story that cannot fail to delight and one that you may want to read over and over. When Sigrid's brother, Marcus who is living in the US, disappears, Sigrid travels to the USA to try and find him and see what is wrong. All of the police force believe that Marcus is responsible for the death of a black female college professor with whom he was having a relationship. However, Sigrid refuses to believe this and uses her scholarly investigative capacities to try and convince the sheriff that there could be other alternatives. I suppose this could be labeled a mystery but it was such a wonderfully drawn and unconventional novel that discusses race relations(at a level I found enamoring), religion, individualism that it is so much more. If you are looking for a novel to make you think, race to get this. I bet you will not be disappointed.
The Mars Room: A Novel
by Rachel Kushner
Prison injustice (4/30/2018)
I feel I may be in the minority, but...I was fully prepared to fall head over heels with this novel. It has all the elements that I love and am interested in but as I plowed through it, I finished it with a sense of emptiness. It contains important issues relative to the justice system and the poor hand dealt to women by virtue of their place in the socioeconomic ladder and their choice of vocation. This misfortune extends to the judicial process and the disadvantages that these women face in initial arraignment and in parole questions. Life inside the prison portrayed the loneliness, the cruelty and power hierarchy but also the love and support that can occur within these walls. Raw and unflinching, this story of a sex worker who killed a man who was stalking her is told in chapters that had me confused from time to time as to which character was talking. Some of the transitions felt muddled but more importantly, I cared about the issues but not the characters. I wish it had spoken to me more.
Gods of Howl Mountain
by Taylor Brown
A whopping good time (4/25/2018)
LOVED THIS!. Taylor Brown is a new author for me, but his incredible characters burst with sparks. They were so alive, full fleshed and gritty, coloring the landscape of North Carolina with a delicious decor. Rory Docherty returns home from Korea, minus one leg, to the back hills of NC where he lives with his Granny, the most vividly descriptive whore and folk healer, that you will ever want to meet. His mother is confined in a mental institution where she has not spoken a word since her lover and boyfriend were killed. Rory runs bootleg whiskey, a common occupation, to various institutions in his souped up automobile affectionally known as "Maybelline". Much of the novel centers on the rule of the mountain by different factions. Granny tries to protect her grandson, even when he uncovers past secrets and threatens revenge. The dialogue is often out right hilarious, and the ambience pitch perfect. I am sorry to see them go...
America Is Not the Heart
by Elaine Castillo
Filipino immigrant experience (4/8/2018)
For fans of third world literature, you might want to dive into this novel for there seems to be a void of Filipino novels. It opened up a world that I was not familiar with as it broached the immigrant experience, the horrors of insurgencies and conflict, familial ties, and also lesbian relationships. This is a multigenerational saga filled with many characters but chiefly Paz, the nurse who has settled in the Bay area with her husband, Pol,who formerly a surgeon but now acted as a security guard in this new environment. Pol's niece, Hero, who was studying to be a doctor in the Philippines, got caught up in the revolutionary fervor, was disowned by her parents and then suffered costly injuries at the hands of the enemies. She was offered sanctuary at Pol and Paz's home with no questions asked. The rest of the book focuses on the interfamilial relationships, the secrecies, the sacrifices made in the name of family and Hero's blossoming relationship with Roslyn. The fierce but tender relationship with Roslyn and Hero created a beautiful visual scene of two women finally allowing themselves to be true to their own selves .Admittedly, I am conflicted about the book. I kept wanting to read it and figure out how this family would survive but I found myself irked at the Tagalog and Philippine words and sentences used heavily throughout the novel that were presented without explanation. The author might have thought this made it more authentic but for the average reader it was only frustrating and distracting.
The Sandman
by Lars Kepler
Terrifying nightmare (3/19/2018)
OMG! OMG! OMG! Take a tincture of Jo Nesbo's books, stir with Steig Larsson, and top with Hannibal Lecter and you get a stew that is so fraught with tension that you will not want to leave your sitting area. Block out your schedule because this is a book that will consume you and eat at you until you finish. Dark and terrifying, this mystery/thriller is composed of very short chapters, each of which leaves you hanging so that you feel compelled to start the next chapter immediately. The tension does not diminish even on the last page. This is the fourth book in a series but is perfectly fine as a stand alone. However, if you are like me, you will want to go back and investigate the other books. The book begins as Joona and his team race to find a girl who has been missing for 13 years as her escaped emaciated brother is found wandering on the train tracks. That is all you need to know because the book is so excruciating that you will want to dive into it immediately. This is a 10plus book for atmosphere.
The Female Persuasion: A Novel
by Meg Wolitzer
A female manifesto (3/16/2018)
How prescient of Wolitzer to create a novel that is so reflective of the current atmosphere that we live in. On the surface, it is a story of young Greer Kadetsky, her boyfriend, her mentor that she meets in college,and the female friendships she meets along the way. Through these individuals, the author explores several large issues, such as women in leadership and power positions, the role of mentors in one's life, the angst of teenage love, and the search for becoming a fulfilled female individual. As Greer matures and becomes more aware, she loses some of her idealism as she finds that women have to always compromise in today's world. An enjoyable story but I did not find any surprising revelations that enriched my sense of the nuances that figure into being a woman in today's world.
Sometimes I Lie
by Alice Feeney
Ride of a lifetime (3/15/2018)
Phew! What a glorious fireworks explosion of twists and turns right up to the very last page. What a brilliant psychological turn of the corkscrew leaving me to think I had the plot all figured out when I couldn’t have been More. Wrong. Feeney has created such a complex storyline that will leave your jaw dropping to the floor. Seriously, I have read other great suspense novels but none so deceiving and rich in structure.The novel begins with Amber in the hospital stating three truths:
"1. My name is Amber Reynolds.
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore
3. Sometimes I lie.”
And from there the race is on. Just don’t forget to tie up your shoelaces.

Join BookBrowse

• Book Jacket: Hades, Argentina
    Hades, Argentina
    by Daniel Loedel
    Daniel Loedel's debut novel, Hades, Argentina, opens in 1986 when we meet Tomás Orillo, a young...
  • Book Jacket: Dark Horses
    Dark Horses
    by Susan Mihalic
    Dark Horses is a shocking, heart-pounding debut; it's both a coming-of-age novel and an unflinching ...
  • Book Jacket: Best Laid Plans
    Best Laid Plans
    by Gwen Florio
    When starting a series, first impressions are key. Introducing a sympathetic or relatable ...
  • Book Jacket: Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    Last Night at the Telegraph Club
    by Malinda Lo
    Author Malinda Lo takes readers to Chinatown, San Francisco in 1954, where 17-year-old Lily Hu is ...

The Lost Apothecary
    by Sarah Penner

A forgotten history. A secret network of women. A legacy of poison and revenge. Welcome to The Lost Apothecary.

Smalltime
    by Russell Shorto

Family secrets emerge as a best-selling author dives into the history of the mob in small-town America.

The Narrowboat Summer
by Anne Youngson
From the author of Meet Me at the Museum, a charming novel of second chances.
Win This Book!
Win Band of Sisters

Band of Sisters
by Lauren Willig

"A crackling portrayal of everyday American heroines…A triumph."
— Fiona Davis