Reviews by Mary Lou F. (Naples, FL)

Power Reviewer  Power Reviewer

The Last Collection: A Novel of Elsa Schiaparelli and Coco Chanel
by Jeanne Mackin
Fashion At All Cost (3/19/2019)
This book tells the rivalry between two top designers - Schiaparelli and Chanel during World War II and how each survived in her own way. Blended into the story is the horror of war. Very good book.
The Last Romantics
by Tara Conklin
What is love? (12/26/2018)
This dysfunctional family try to figure, in their own ways, what love is all about. Interesting conclusions made by all of them.
Golden Child
by Claire Adam
Choices (10/30/2018)
Sometimes parents have to make difficult decisions regarding their children. That is exactly what Clyde and Joy had to do regarding their twin sons, Peter and Paul. The turmoil over their decision was very difficult and parents everywhere could have empathy for them. Well written and I highly recommend reading this novel.
A Place for Us
by Fatima Farheen Mirza
Family Differences (4/4/2018)
Families are very different, cultures are very different. When it comes right down to it, we are all the same but different. We all love our families in different ways which is what this book shows.
Other People's Houses
by Abbi Waxman
Judging (11/30/2017)
This book is written very well. One doesn't know what goes on in another's life even though you may see them every day, whether on a neighborly basis or as a friend. I like the way the author ties all the families in the neighborhood together.
As Bright as Heaven
by Susan Meissner
Decisions (10/12/2017)
This story is all about choices and decisions. Very sweet story about family, tragedies and how people deal with life.
Wonder Valley
by Ivy Pochoda
Poor Reading (7/10/2017)
I could not read this book, tried but subject matter was not interesting at all.
The Almost Sisters
Loyalty/Bias (4/30/2017)
This book shows how loyalty and family cuts through bias and prejudice. Growing up in the south is certainly a different way of life - class distinction, race distinction. I think the author brings a very strong message that if you believe strongly in someone and hold true to your values, right will out.
Les Parisiennes: How the Women of Paris Lived, Loved, and Died Under Nazi Occupation
by Anne Sebba
Brave women (7/30/2016)
No matter what type of woman lived in Paris during World War 11, they all managed to survive to help others out if possible. Some turned themselves into different personalities but all were brave in their own way.
All the Ugly and Wonderful Things: A Novel
by Bryn Greenwood
Choices (5/17/2016)
Each chapter is written by one of the characters which gives the reader how each make a choice in the years involved in the story. Very good read.
A Certain Age: A Novel
by Beatriz Williams
Twists and turns (3/23/2016)
This book has many twists and turns and keeps you reading forward to see what will happen. I now want to read more by this author.
Family Forever (11/22/2015)
This book shows no matter what, family always wins out. The complications involved with a dysfunctional family also show that things can turn around with faith and hope.
Maybe in Another Life
by Taylor Jenkins Reid
Choices/chances (5/31/2015)
Very different style of writing. Two different choices to every action. Confusing at first but once you catch on, it makes for a very good read. I would like to read her other books to see how she handles situations.
Make Your Home Among Strangers
by Jennine CapĂł Crucet
Culture Shock (4/11/2015)
A Cuban girl is a minority attendee at an elitist school with no idea of the differences in culture. Her family doesn't help as they don't encourage education and she is torn between her family and wanting something better for herself. Makes one think about backgrounds, familial ties and the chance to go beyond what you have always known.
Her Name Is Rose
by Christine Breen
Family Ties (1/28/2015)
What a wonderful cast of characters interwoven in each others lives. Hated to see the story end. Would love to see a sequel written as there are many more stories behind these characters.
Blue Stars
by Emily Gray Tedrowe
Treating our soldiers (12/5/2014)
Very insightful story especially with the conditions found at Walter Reed Hospital. This novel deals with the care or lack thereof of returning soldiers. Eye awakening--makes you wonder how close to realistic events this novel conveys.
Accidents of Marriage
by Randy Susan Meyers
Anger Management (6/14/2014)
Families with an angry member can become very dysfunctional and everyone suffers. Written very well and I didn't want to stop reading. I now want to read other books Ms. Meyers has written.
Her
by Harriet Lane
Who Do You Trust? (5/10/2014)
This book is a page turner about supposed new friendships and old grievances (misunderstood or not). Very good way of dealing with the characters, each chapter dealing with the new main characters. We'll worth reading.
Mating for Life
by Marissa Stapley
Mating (3/8/2014)
This is an excellent book, characters are very realistic and have very real problems which anyone can relate to. Also, you get to learn the mating habits of various birds and animals which are similar to humans at times. A very worthwhile and easy read.
The Venetian Bargain
by Marina Fiorato
Historical Medicine (12/24/2013)
Very good book written about a period in history that started a lot of modern medical treatments. Good reading from start to finish acquiring a lot of knowledge about that period in history.

• Book Jacket: On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
    On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous
    by Ocean Vuong
    On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous, the bold and bracing debut novel by acclaimed poet Ocean Vuong, ...
  • Book Jacket: Daisy Jones & The Six
    Daisy Jones & The Six
    by Taylor Jenkins Reid
    In this evocative novel written in the format of an interview with members of a fictional music ...
  • Book Jacket: The Age of Living Machines
    The Age of Living Machines
    by Susan Hockfield
    In the face of looming global challenges, such as overpopulation, resource depletion and disease, Dr...
    The Mars Room
    by Rachel Kushner
    There is palpable tension between expectation and reality in Rachel Kushner's third novel. The ...

Patsy
    by Nicole Dennis-Benn

A haunting depiction of immigration and womanhood, and the silent threads of love.