Reader reviews and comments on Eldest, plus links to write your own review.

Inheritance, Book II

By Christopher Paolini

• Hardcover: Aug 2005,
    Paperback: Mar 2007,

There are currently 57 reader reviews for Eldest

Rebecca (01/15/07)

This was one of the best books I have ever read.........
Unlike some of the people who have entered reviews about Eldest I think it was AWSOME!!!!
The entire time I read it I was hoping that the 3rd and final addition of the Inheritance triliogy would come out sooner. I also think that Christopher Paolini did a most wonderful
job on Eragon. Here's to hoping that the next one will be even better than the first 2!!!!!
Ryan (12/30/06)

Fantasitc
I love this book! My all time favorite part of this book is when Eragon Meets Orick and Galder for the first time.
Rae (12/29/06)

No better than Eragon.
I hoped to get a point of view of things from Saphira, as she had been dreadfully ignored in the first book. Instead, we get stuck with Roran and Nasuada, whose sidetracking stories don't REALLY matter.Only Paolini thought they would make good angst opprotunities. Like we don't already have enough of that with Eragon's scar.
Our hero does not seen to have a single flaw, apart from the scar, which doesn't count because it ended up making him cooler in the end.
And for the fans who will go, "he worte it when he wuz 15, dont h8." : He actually finished Eragon at 19. And he was about 22 when Eldest was released. In any case, age shouldn't matter in a really god book. I would've been much more impressed if Paolini had published Eragon at 29 then 19, if it meant that the writing was better. Age counts for nothing, because I have read horrible book written by adults.
Drew (12/17/06)

Horrible!
Honestly, I cannot begin to explain how awful this book is. I couldn't bare reading any further from about half way through. As a writer, it is often common to find yourself repeating ideas, lines, or similar motifs from previously read novels. It is a struggle to retain complete originality when writing; that is why if I am writing something, and I find myself pulling ideas from other novels, I will stop writing that peice completely, so that I may retain originality. What bothers me the most about Eragon and Eldest, is that they by no means deserve to have been published. There are many day to day writers who struggle with finding a publisher, that are much more talented writers. Eldest is in every form plagerism.
stephen donnellan (13) (11/01/06)

eldest
This book is the most incredible book i have ever read.

I have already read this book 5 times not to mention how many times i read Eragon. with every page I was on the edge of my seat I cried and I laughed ,i awaited each twist with baited breath, and I can only hope the next book can be released soon. Christopher Paolini is a genius more than that he is a wizard with literature. i have to say one thing if this book was compared to the likes of harry potter or the lord of the rings eldest would come out on top. This book is a work of art, more than that it is a treasure.
Aeon Siadrill (10/28/06)

Disgrace
My dears, some of you, who have rated this beer bogie pretending to be a so called 'book' (and we're not being jealous or intentionally insulting or just saying this because of lack of knowledge about books) with any grade above 'poor' have probably never heard of things like 'literature' or 'creative' writing', not even to mention 'aesthetics' or 'good taste'.
The basic idea and everything connected to it is disgracefully stolen from Tolkien, for instance - the elves and their culture, is not only copied, but is also a great insult with its simplifying and changing some details just to make it look like it's different. Plus, you might have noticed that there is a book called The Lord of the Rings, in which you will find a certain mine called Moria, very similar to the one described in Eragon. The whole structure, which is based on the story of a boy who just lived and then he encountered something priceless and went on a long lasting journey, full of fun adventures, is a copy of the Hobbit, the idea of him being special, a savior of the world and connected to some sort of prophecy, implies to stealing basic ideas from Harry Potter. So, to sum it up, Paolini has no possible future as a writer, he obviously got published mainly because of his parents who by the way OWN a publishing company and because of his young age. This should not be a reason to tolerate bad books. It's not fair to younger readers that they are manipulated to read books just because of the publicity and because they're not old enough to read the fantasy classics. It is known that Paolini got famous by presenting his book in many elementary schools.
We should raise the level of reading with interesting, yet quality books, not with low-quality books that just sum up all that has been written in the fantasy genre so far.
Laura, fan of Eldest (12) (10/26/06)

Incredible
Eldest . . . is one of the most incredible books ever written. The way Christopher Paolini writes transports readers to another world, a world that seems so alive that it is hard to bare. You can't put it down at night, and when you do, you make yourself wake up early to pick it up again. When you have finished the book, you can't wait until the next one comes out, so you read it over and over again, each time understanding more and more of Eragon's world. Round of applause for the magnificent works of Paolini!
Ad (07/27/06)

Something about anything
Before I start this review I would like to look at what other people have said. For just one moment of your time I would like to take you into other writers. Some people say that Mr. Poalini has stolen ideas from J.R.R Tolkein and Star Wars. I am yet to read some of those books, but at least let me say this much as far as I know. The other supposed 'great authors' are also theives and as the word here some people say also Theft.

Some questions to the people who call authors theives. Has the person in question counted every single book ever published? Has the person who calls some authors theives ever read every single book in excitence to the known date? I think I can go as far to the person answering no to each question that was there. You are probably asking Why did I ask you this? Am I right that you are asking yourself this? Well, I hope I am right, because I am going to tell you something. I am going to tell you a tale about stories if that is okay with you. This tale I will write now.

If the answer to those two questions was no, then that was the correct answer. That is correct, because every book that has ever been published don't excist. Did you know that every author steals from a book at one point in time? Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkein probaly stole from one book that they had read at one point in time? Well, yes is the answer to both of those questions. Yes, yes, and yes. The answer is yes, because all those books most likely have one thing or another in common. They might have in common a sentence, or they might have in common a land, or a plot. But, the point of these paragraphs is to tell you that all authors are theives in some way or another, even if you don't want to beleive it.

Now, back to Eldest. Eldest is a nice book that is filled with adventure, suspense, and has its ups and downs. I will admit that some of the stuff is a bit boring, or you can tell what happens next, but it is still a good book all in all. Also, I feel sorry for those who didn't finish the book, because if they didn't finish it they wouldn't know if the end and see if the end is good.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove