Reader reviews and comments on Founding Brothers, plus links to write your own review.

Founding Brothers

The Revolutionary Generation

By Joseph J. Ellis

Founding Brothers

• Hardcover: Oct 2000,
    Paperback: Feb 2002,

There are currently 182 reader reviews for Founding Brothers

Laur (08/05/10)

I think an extremely learned History major...
... might be able to comprehend about a quarter of what the author cranks out onto the page. Granted, Ellis writes extremely fluidly, and the overall quality of the book is hardly mediocre. HOWEVER; I found it extremely redundant, and not at all self-explanatory. A thorough knowledge of the American history and government is required to understand what this book means, let alone the extremely extensive vocabulary that is enough to make more than a few uncomfortable. Overall, I found it pretty painful to read.

I am a 16-year-old AP U.S. student, and I recommend this book to those who are capable of appreciating 'Founding Brothers' unneeded complexity. I, for one, am not one of those people.
APU (07/03/10)

I found the cure for insomniacs!
My fellow Americans, I, Dr. Wantstokillmyselfafterthisbook Jr. the 3rd, have found the CURE for INSOMNIACS! Just read this HORRID and DREADFUL book and you'll be sleeping like a baby.

Warning

May cause user to want to kill themselves.
May cause blindness.
If read more than a paragraph a day, user might fall into a coma and die a horrible book related death.

The End.
Q (09/12/09)

Interesting Thesis
A powerful and compelling work, which told of interesting behind-the-scenes anecdotes from the founding of the United States. Each "brother" is examined based on his accomplishments, and equally, his faults. Motives are unveiled, politics unmasked, and the reader ultimately gets the sense that Washington's (the city) political games have really never changed. This inference comes directly from the implication of the title "Founding Brothers," showing that each man was connected in some way to the others, and that together, they were able to create the American Republic we know and live in today.
unluckystudent (08/23/09)

Awful!
This book was so terrible! I just felt like telling the author to SPIT IT OUT already! the language is was confusing (this coming from a very advanced student). I had to write a few essays on this book and had to read the whole thing twice AND get summaries online before i even had an inkling of an idea on what it was about. I feel bad for anyone else that has to read this. Also...the author went back and forth in time and ideas it was all over the place and not interesting in the slightest.
Fellow Student (08/22/09)

Was It Written In Japanese?
I can't understand it. I have ready many other interesting books. I have to read this over the summer and I have tried over and over to read and re-read paragraphs but I can barely grasp what Joseph Ellis is trying to say. Honestly, how can we call this literature when no normal being can understand it?
b (08/18/09)

Founding Fathers: the Revolutionary Generation
I have to read this book for AP US History. I have read most of it, but I find it really hard to get through. I've already read The Jungle, Thirteen Day: A Memoir of the Cuban Missile Crisis, and The Killer Angels, all of which I thoroughly enjoyed. This book, however has put me to sleep three times with its boring rehashing of previously stated facts. It could be quite condensed and still give the same information. It would be quite good if it wasn't so long winded. I enjoy the first parts of all the Chapters, but after 15 pages of the same thing it gets boring (and I'm not ADD or ADHD). I wouldn't recommend this book unless you absolutely LOVE Ellis's other works.
Chris (08/18/09)

This Book Will Make You HATE History
I read (and am still reading) this book as a part of my AP Summer Assignment. Don't read this book unless you absolutely have to. I feel sympathy for the people who have been assigned this book because I have to write 8 essays based on this book. I don't see why teachers love this book so much, and I want to know how much critics were paid to say that the book is "lively and engaging." This book is as engaging as a marble statue. I normally don't have a problem with history, but I had to read many sections more than once just to understand what Ellis was trying to say, and after completing a particular chapter I couldn't remember what I had just read! The critics were wrong with this book.

Bottom Line: If you want to read an exciting history book, you've come to the wrong place. Do not read this book.
Drowned by my own drool (10/14/08)

Shoot yourself in the head before you read this book
Seriously... has anyone gotten past the first two chapters and come out alive. Many comrades of mine fell to the evils of this book, don't let it happen to you. Hamilton,Burr,Jefferson,Washington,Adams,and Franklin formed a hate gang with their leader Joseph Ellis to kill the minds and hearts of innocent souls. Don't read it or you're soul will be trapped in the vortex of DOOM!!!!

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove