Reader reviews and comments on The Da Vinci Code, plus links to write your own review.

The Da Vinci Code

By Dan Brown

The Da Vinci Code

• Hardcover: Mar 2003,
    Paperback: Mar 2006,

There are currently 161 reader reviews for The Da Vinci Code

Gayatri (09/29/04)

A curator is killed in Louvre and while counting his last minutes scribbles down a code which has the power to rattle the foundations of Christanity.The hidden meaning of the same can be decoded by carefully observing the famous paintings of Leonardo da Vinci.
Later it is known that the curator was involved in secret society called the "Priory of Sion", of which likes of Leonardo da Vinci, Sir Isaac Newton, Victor Hugo etc were also a part.
Unveiling the code are the central characters of the book,Harvard symbologist, Robert Langdane and a French cryptologist, Sophie Neveu whose every move is monitered by someone unknown and dangerous!!
The book is well written and though with some exaggerations has met good standards. It unveils the suspense slowly and takes you through a journey of many twists and turns.I bet on the fact that you will be hooked on to it....
The details of the Pagan worship and Bible are well explained and hence can be understood by a non Christain like me.
On the whole an awsome reading experience....... A must read for all you suspense lovers!!!
Andy T. (09/19/04)

I think it's a bad book in almost every imaginable way, but a friend who agrees with my analysis forced another of Brown's books on me--Angels and Demons--and surprise (!), I found it far better written, even though it preceded (I believe) this one. So though I hate to encourage sales of novels by someone capable of writing as poorly as Brown does on some occasions, I would recommend Angels and Demons. Some of the flaws are there, but it's as if a far better editor got hold of it and gave it a thorough going over before it was launched.
UnKnOwN (09/16/04)

<<<----(this should be a 10)
the da vinci code is clearly the best novel ever written! believe me, by the time you get to page 11.........youre hooked! and you can't get your eyes off it anymore. i even had fights with my sister to whos turn it is to read it! i am not going to tell you my age...but believe me....the da vinci code is fit for anyone who can read and understand!
veronica (09/14/04)

As we become adults, we tend to lose our imagination. Dan Brown obviously has not. He imbues me with imagination and thought and questions. so what if madonna on the rocks is acctually 6 ft and not 5? Everyone agrees that this book is a page turner, meaning it's a great book, even if there are those who are too stubborn to admit it. And on the subject of religion... get over it. If you are so insecure about your own religion that you allow a book of fiction to ruffle ur feathers and bunch ur underwear, than im sorry, your defense for the church is false and for the wrong reasons.
spencer (09/12/04)

When Mr. Brow isn't sure about his fact, which is far more often then not, he falls back on the key to fiction: imagination. he is praised for his dedication to detail, yet anyone who has been to paris knows that the hotel the protaginist resides in is a 30 second walk, not a 30 minuit drive form the Louve. while on the run a train tickit is purchased form gare de lyon while infact there are no trains for the destination, Lille, from that station. a trivial mistake on might say, however i belive that these two fallicies, or over-sites represent a general lack of simple research. i wont go so far as to deny that the story is interesting but i find the wrighting far from poetry and much closer to a Robert Ludlum thriller (no offence to Mr. ludlum).
troy (08/25/04)

5 is way too small of a number to this novel enough said. oh yeah "WOW"
Anonymous (08/24/04)

Da Vinci Code reads much like a finished script would go into production. A real page turner. I did not want to put it down, but alas, I had to sleep sometime. Short chapters makes reading a breeze and my interest was held throughout the entire book.
There were numerous surprises throughout and there were no clues which gave away any real hint of what would occur.

I have recommended this book to everyone I have met and continue to do so. I am completely satisfied with the charater development, story and ending.

I am looking forward with great anticipation to Robert Langdon's upcoming adventure.

If you haven't read his first "Angels and Demons" I highly recommend it. Amazing work from Dan Brown

AJ
Toronto, Canada
KT Mac (08/23/04)

The De Vinci code a roller coaster of a read, enthralling, intriguing, thought provoking.
I couldn't put it down. Encourages you to explore the fact from the fiction, can't wait for
the sequel next summer, or to read more by Dan Brown.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove