Reader reviews and comments on Hoot, plus links to write your own review.

Hoot

• Hardcover: Sep 2002,
    Paperback: May 2004,

There are currently 56 reader reviews for Hoot

catherine (09/04/04)

Hoot is one of the best books I've ever read in my life. It is the best I've read because it's kid friendly, humorous, and joyous. Of course I recommend this book to every and anybody. This book will show you a child's everyday value of curiosity, and since this is coming from an eleven- year- old child, I would know!
Whyshoulditellya (08/22/04)

Hoot was a great book i love it!
I give a "Hoot"! (11/06/03)

I am 12 years old and I first read this book when I was 11. I did not find anything offensive at all in this book, only a great read! As to the person who asks what normal teenager cares about nature, therefore classifying the characters Roy, Beatrice, and Mullet Fingers as unreal, I find that highly insulting and dread what I will be like when I turn 13 if I won't care about the environment and the world I live in. I'm not a particularly ecstatic nature fan and I don't go out each morning and hug a tree, but that doesn't mean I don't care about the environment!
me (11/06/03)

I love this book!! ITS SO FUNNY!!(strickly for teens)
Jake (11/06/03)

For anyone who hates reading this is a good realisitic book that's funny. Including lying, cheating, sex, alcohol, drugs, and many more things. Very good, suggested for teenages are young adults.
Not a mushy headed liberal (11/01/03)

All parents should beware - this book is highly offensive. You have to believe that vandalism, lying, stealing, corrupt politicians, greedy corporations with stupid employees, idiotic police, destruction of private property, inept school officials, well-intentioned adults, violent family situations, and truancy are all necessary in a "tug to the ol' heart-strings/children know best" attempt to save owls. Eco-terrorists (called eco-avengers by the publisher) must be smiling at the propaganda foisted upon unsuspecting middle schoolers. Teachers should be taken to task for assigning this book. Its portrayal of "the end justifies the means" is NOT the message I want to give to my children.
Lucy (05/21/03)

I loved this book! I'm a teen, so maybe I liked it because it was directed at my age group, but I'd definetly recommend it to anyone.
Cynic Follower (04/23/03)

In a concise way, this book follows the unfocused adventures of Mountain Boy (Roy), Beatrice Leap, and Mullet Fingers (who cares a little too much about owls) The book is quite entertaining, with the adventures that happen with the kids as they try to hide Mullet Fingers from the authorities. The book runs into its problems, and major ones, when it turns to the issue of the owls and Tries to Tell Us Something. We are then tried to unrealistic situations, including the climatic scene where the teenagers of Mountain Boy's school team up to fight the cliched, corrupt Mother Paula's. Mysteries: 1. Why would average, everyday teenagers team up to fight Mother Paula's? What average, everyday teenager cares about nature? 2. Why is every "corrupt, evil business plot" occupied with the Missing File plot device? This book is full of contrivances and unrealistic tidbits that it is quite a hoot indeed. Not worth the time.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove