Reader reviews and comments on The Lovely Bones, plus links to write your own review.

The Lovely Bones

By Alice Sebold

The Lovely Bones

• Hardcover: Jun 2002,
    Paperback: Apr 2004,

There are currently 115 reader reviews for The Lovely Bones

Sharon (01/06/05)

This book is told who the eyes of the victim of murder, it was beautifully written and gave a wonderful insite into what the characters of the book go through. I expected it to be very sad and depressing but found it quite the opposite.

I thought this story was even more amazing after reading that Alice Sebold was the victim of rape herself as a child. I think it took incredible courage to write this story. Bravo!
meliza (12/09/04)

The truth is that life is like this. The novel depicts what truly goes on after such a tragic event, you cry, you suffer, and you move on. Ms.Sebold wrote with an honesty that i envy, I don't know how she had the stomach to write it but i thank her for doing so. The Lovely Bones is a great work of literature that i know I will always remember.
Kree (12/06/04)

I was extremely dissapointed with this book. I was expecting much more than I received, which was a clichéd story about a girl watching her family deal with her murder, in ways such as; trying to find her murderer and having an affair. The plot throughout the book is weak and the writing lacks description and poise. It may be a good book for sappy twelve year olds, but it should not be taken as a serious work of literature.
Angela (11/16/04)

This book was fascinating. I could not put it down. I think I read it in a three day span. It's been awhile since I have read it and the book came up is discussion in my Creative Writing class. So I am going to read it again the next chance I get. I was kept wondering what was going to happen next throughout the whole book. As the reader, I really felt for the family and wanted them to catch the killer. I also felt for Susie. What an innocent child. A beautifully written novel that I will keep on my shelf for a lifetime!!
christine (11/15/04)

it was great. i was crying in most of the parts just reading it. I had to read it for a book club along with 3 other people for a reading class in college. PICK UP THE BOOK IT IS ALSOME!!!!!
Lindsay (10/25/04)

I loved this book. Alice Sebold's prose is spectacular and the emotional level she writes on is incredible. The Lovely Bones deserves all the praise that it recieves. While this book is centered around a tragic death, feelings of hope and joy are felt while reading this; Alice did a GREAT first book!

P.S. If you liked The Lovely Bones, I strongly recommend that you read Lucky, a memoir about Alice's own rape while she was in college. It's also beautifully written and should defenitly be featured on this site.
Valerie (10/07/04)

The Lovely Bones is the best book that i have ever read! I love how the author used great details to really make the book very interesting. I could not put it down without finishing it. I
Annette (10/07/04)

I had never even heard of this book before. I came across it in the library and thought it looked like an easy read. This is not the type of book that I usually read. I love reading but have never been moved enough to cry. This book made me bawl. I loved it. What a beautiful read. I have now recommended this to many friends and students I work with( I work in a high school )something I never have done before. I will noe be looking for more of Alice Sebold's writings.

Mrs. Hemingway