Reader reviews and comments on Cutting For Stone, plus links to write your own review.

Cutting For Stone

By Abraham Verghese

Cutting For Stone

• Hardcover: Feb 2009,
    Paperback: Jan 2010,

There are currently 32 reader reviews for Cutting For Stone

Denise (02/06/12)

Cutting for Stone
This was our book club book. It was not for me at all. I found there was too much detailed description throughout that got in the way of the flow of the story. The description of the delivery of the twins made me rather sick to my stomach. There was too much medical vocabulary to be taken in by the average reader (and I have a Master's). Sorry, not a top pick for me at all.
Dave (08/04/11)

Cutting for Stone
Our all-guys bookclub read this in a joint meeting with our spouse's all-girls bookclub -- everyone found this book to be an absolutely fascinating read about an area of the world few of us knew much about and a story line, rich characters, and sweeping prose that is first rate.
Elizabeth (04/10/11)

Lengthy, but good
The story of Shiva and Marion Stone will stay with you long after you turn the last page. It is an unforgettable tale of Siamese twins and their accomplishments, trials, heartbreaks, triumphs, and undeniable bond. Their Ethiopian family's ties and closeness make up the main theme as we also get a glimpse into medical terminology and procedures. It is an immersion into a way of life wrought by strife, war, dedicated doctors, and suffering citizens.

Cutting for Stone is a remarkable book with unforgettable characters. Once you have read the book, you will realize how amazing our health care system is in the United States . You will also realize that there are committed, talented doctors all around the world that do the best they can with what they have in terms of equipment and supplies.

Don't give up because of the lengthy, detailed explanations and slow-moving beginning. As you become attached to the characters, the story unfolds and becomes one you will be glad you didn't put aside. The book is incredible. 4/5 only because of the lengthy beginning.
Sue Zugaj (01/27/11)

LISTEN TO THIS BOOK
The audio book is one of the best I've listened to. Some narrators 'read' to you.....this narrator brings the country and the characters to life - you are entertained and educated and won't be disappointed.
CMLewis (01/22/11)

My thoughts & questions
I am almost finished - have really been saving the last few pages because I am in the process of reviewing contents. This has been an interesting book - many layers for all characters- right now I am trying to go back and find a direct reference to the title - I remember seeing it in the text. I have thought about the title a lot. This book would be ideal for someone who has done mission work / medical work for needy. I have worked at reading this book - it has taken me a week off and on, because I keep finding things I want to figure out. I loved Ghosh best of all characters. CML
Disappointed (01/13/11)

Pay attention!
Yes, it's epic; yes, it is thickly plotted, but please, people--beneath very seductive and flowing prose is a strongly misogynistic book--doesn't anyone notice that women--when they are given any attention at all--are martyrs or madonnas? That having sex out of wedlock leads to serious illness and/or death? That the protagonist (Marion) is a rapist? that once Hema gains possession of the twins she vanishes as a fully realized character?
Despite claims for a patient-centered narrative, it's still all about the western-style doctor.
Andy Greensfelder (02/03/10)

Complexity of Character
I loved Cutting for Stone, including for some of the reasons it is criticized, like the inclusion of descriptions of medical procedures. Mostly I love the characterization of the narrator, Marion Stone, for the complex combination of sympathetic and maddening behavior, and attitudes. Marion sees his world through eyes that the reader knows often distort what he sees, a condition that is sometimes true for all of us. The distortions lead to both wonderful and disastrous decisions.
Suzy . Cape Town (07/07/09)

Cutting for Stone
Thank you Dr Verghese for writing this superb book.

It has been a long while since I have been so engrossed in the characters,enthralled by the story line, whilst opening my eyes to a great many subjects that until now I was ignorant of.

Your use of the English language was extraordinarily beautiful even when discussing some of the rarer more disturbing medical facts.

It has been a month since I (sadly) finished Cutting for Stone and it still moves me, to the extent of writing this review, something I have not done with any other book!

I very much look forward to more work from you!

• Book Jacket: The Promise