Reader reviews and comments on Cutting For Stone, plus links to write your own review.

by Abraham Verghese

Feb 2009, 560 pages
    Jan 2010, 560 pages

Lucia Silva

There are currently 32 reader reviews for Cutting For Stone

susan (04/27/09)

Cutting For Stone
I loved this book! I'm very interested in books with medical subjects. I found myself reading the first 100 or so pages with a world map by my side---it was a great geography and history lesson as I knew very little about that part of the world. When I finished the book I reread the prologue and first part again----it really tied it all together!!
K Honsharuk (03/09/09)

Cutting is Captivating
Well done...very well done. I'm exhausted...at 534 pages, I have been thoroughly engrossed in the lives of Marion and Shiva stone for close to a month. This book had tons of layers...lots of heart and love and warmth and heartbreak and squirm-inducing scenes. cutting for stone is the sort of book I love...crossing time and generations and taking me to places I've never been and will probably never go. and the title is great, too. even it contains tons of layers.

A few minor quibbles...I never felt as though Marion was a REAL character...he almost seemed too perfect. I found it hard to believe his pure and true love for Genet. Shiva was hard to know, too, and I thought some of the story got lost in the medical details. Also felt it dragged a bit during their childhoods. Other characters - Ghosh, Thomas Stone, Hema, sister Mary Joseph, even matron - were much better fleshed out than Marion and Shiva and had better "stories." still, cutting for stone is captivating. Read it.
Susan (02/22/09)

Cutting for Stone
A wonderful family saga that will keep book groups in discussion overtime with the richness of characters, history, place and time in this debut novel. A definite must for all public libraries.
Jerry (02/22/09)

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese
I liked this book! I especially admired how Verghese vividly described the primary characters' unvarnished gut feelings and urges: love and hate, unrequited love and betrayal, excessive self-centeredness, compassion toward others, necessary self-survival actions and the resulting guilt and fear and a willingness to give up one's life for the sake of another. I will definitely remember the humanness of these characters.

Much of the book takes place in Ethiopia. Verghese describes the political turmoil which took place in that country throughout much of the twentieth century. He also realistically describes how honorable people had to "play politics" with despots to protect themselves and their non-government organization (in this case a hospital for the poor) in a third-world country. I gained a greater appreciation for the work Doctors Without Borders, Catholic Charities and others are doing.
Karen (02/04/09)

Must Read
Rarely does a book come along that engages me on so many levels – gorgeous writing, interesting and sympathetic characters, fascinating setting, gripping narrative. Cutting for Stone is a story of love’s many varied forms – brotherly, spousal, unrequited, sexual, parental, love of country. From its first pages I felt myself in the hands of a master storyteller and so deliberately slowed my reading to better gain every ounce of pleasure it offered. Verghese is a new author for me. I am adding him to my ‘must read’ list!
Iliana (02/04/09)

Cutting For Stone
This story that spans decades and countries could have easily lost focus but the writer grabs your attention from the beginning and doesn't let go.

You care about these twin boys who were left without their parents and you want to know what their fate will be.

The medical descriptions were interesting to read even if at times a bit too real. I didn't want to imagine some of these things but I really liked reading about the love of medicine and how it is a calling not because of the prestige or money it can bring but because of the good it serves.

An impressive fiction debut.
Julie (02/04/09)

A Must Read
I loved everything about this book! Most of all I loved the characters. Verghese has filled this book with very real, very rich characters. I will miss them now that I am finished with the book. This is one of those stories that will stay with me forever. You must read this book.
Deborah (02/04/09)

A Captivating Novel
In the hands of a lesser writer, this relatively long book could become tedious. For example, it takes nearly 100 pages for the twins to get born, because Vergehese keeps shifting the point of view among six or seven characters. But he creates each one as a unique individual with a fascinating back story and makes you care about them all. This is a sprawling story, but one that keeps the reader captivated throughout. Yes, Verghese uses his medical background (sometimes a bit too extensively; several episodes seem unnecessarily long and complex for the average reader), but his focus is on the relationships between family, friends, and coworkers.

I had a particular interest in this book because I have sponsored two children from Ethiopia, and I appreciated learning more about the country, its people, and their plight.

Highly recommended.

Girl Waits with Gun
by Amy Stewart

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

W M T N, W C F All