Reader reviews and comments on A Child Called It, plus links to write your own review.

A Child Called It

Paperback: Oct 1995,

There are currently 260 reader reviews for A Child Called It

zoie (01/27/10)

a child called it
This book was very good. It is about a child who is abused and tortured by his cruel mother. It brings tears to your eyes and touches your heart.
Gabbey (01/26/10)

Couldn't stop reading
When i first started this book I just couldn't put it down. It was so sad but so interesting I just had to read more, this book brought to my attention a very serious issue in this world.... abuse. It tells the heartbreaking story of a abused man who's life turned out pretty good. I LOVED it.
Asther (01/22/10)

the abuse
This was a sad story, Ii hate the author's mother for being so cruel..Why did she treat the author differently from his brother? Isn't she biased? She had no right to hit his child without valid reason.. As this is called child abuse. The mother even want him to eat his brother's leftover cereal. What kind of mother is this?
Christine (01/21/10)

A Child Called "It"
This book is both enduring pain. You will actually be crying with and fuming with Dave. I started to cry in class reading the painful book. It reminds us that it is still happening around us. We just have to pay attention to the world to see it happening in the shadows. It is a good book to read when you think you have it bad. It also reminds you that there are other children in the world who would wish they had your life instead of their own.
brianna!! (01/20/10)

wow
This book made me cry like a baby and made me thankful for the life that I do have...the food I get to eat and the laughs I get to share. I never knew how bad that stuff really was until I read that book.
Kelsey (01/20/10)

inspiration
Some people may say that this book consists of poor writing.This may be true in some aspects but that is not what the reader's focus should be on.The focus of this book is to give the reader a recollection of events that were inflicted on one innocent child. How you even notice the poor writing or bad grammar behind this emotional anecdote is beyond me. This book is about a child who was alone. A boy whose mother isolated him from the rest of the world. This book was written to be an inspiration to all people who are going through or have went through something similar to David's situation.Mr. Pelzer is attempting to encourage each person who reads this book that if they know about abuse that is occurring or if they are being abused that there are people who want to help you and you have to speak up.David was extremely lucky to have survived his mother's abuse for as long as he did and he wants to do everything he can to make sure others do not go through this.All in all this way an amazing book and a truly inspirational story.
Jenny (01/13/10)

How Cruel
I think it is so cruel and unnatural for a mother to hate her kid so much. I thought it was so heartless that she burnt his arm, shoved his brother's diaper in his face, and stabbed him (not on purpose- SHOCKER) but with what this child went through growing up I am so happy that he got over it.
crazy (01/11/10)

all lies
First all this story is fake because the teacher didn't notice right away that he was abused. Until he got kicked out of school and put in a different school. Why would someone write this story after his parents died that is just sick. He is sick to his head. Plus the school board would have caught it right away. Here's hint dirty clothes, bruises, and stealing food from school and classmates. I could just see right through the author. He wants to be look at. That's why he wrote a Lie!!!

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove