Reader reviews and comments on The Time Traveler's Wife, plus links to write your own review.

The Time Traveler's Wife

By Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveler's Wife

• Hardcover: Aug 2003,
    Paperback: May 2004,

There are currently 51 reader reviews for The Time Traveler's Wife

Cloggie Downunder (06/18/11)

Wonderful
The Time Traveler’s Wife is Audrey Niffenegger’s second novel. This is the story of Henry DeTamble (the Time Traveler) and Clare Abshire (the Time Traveler’s Wife). Clare first meets Henry when she is six years old and he suddenly appears, naked, in the Meadow near her home: he’s thirty-six at the time. On the other hand, Henry first meets Clare in the library where he works, when he’s twenty-eight and she’s twenty. Henry has a condition called Chrono-Displacement Disorder, which has him disappearing and reappearing into various times in the past and future. This is ultimately a beautiful love story with a time-travel twist, which adds a different dimension to the story: humour in some parts, horror or heartache in others. Whilst reading this book can be confusing at first, once you realise that Clare’s story moves forward normally in time, and you remember to pay attention to Henry’s age in the headings, it all starts to make sense. Henry and Clare’s ardour and their attempts to lead a normal life, to have a family, in the face of his disorder, make for a memorable and deeply stirring tale. Niffenegger is skilled with prose and plot; the reader is held enthralled as her imagination is transformed into words. This novel has been described as enchanting, moving, extraordinary, haunting, compelling, a soaring love story: I agree with all of those. I laughed and cried. I so love this book: it is one of my all-time favourite novels. Writing this review has made me want to read it yet again.
Dayna! (01/05/11)

AWESOME
This book I had to do for a book report, and let me tell you the movie doesn't do any justice!
Camille L. (07/14/10)

The Dynamics of Time Traveling!
Since Henry was a boy, he has been different. He has what will be called “Chrono-Displacement Disorder.” This disorder causes him to travel through time; he can go forwards or backwards in time, but often finds himself returning to the same spots. One second he is at his work at the Newberry Library in Chicago and the next he is stark naked in a meadow in Michigan. The downside to Henry’s traveling is that nothing comes with him; he may end up somewhere dangerous, in the freezing snow or in the middle of traffic with no clothes and only himself to rely on.

Clare Abshire is also a special individual. When she was six years old a man appeared in her meadow claiming to have come from the future. At this age she is unsure about the man but over time and through many visits she realizes that Henry is her true love, the man who she would marry in the future. Henry is only eight years older than Clare but he first meets her when she is six and he is 36 in the meadow near her parent’s house. The two get to know each other during Clare’s adolescence with different versions of Henry sporadically popping in.

I loved this book; the author takes you back and forth through time showing you the perspectives of both the time traveler and the time traveler’s wife. As a reader you are able to fall in love with the characters as they struggle with the time they have with each other and see how they deal with it being ripped from them. It is a depiction of how love lasts through a life and how it grows with each challenge faced. Personally I enjoyed the book and recommend it, but there are some who would not like the book. It is especially not written for children or young teens because it is very mature and has some very mature themes throughout the entire book. If people are not comfortable with mature themes, (i.e. swearing, sexual intimacy, and crudeness) then this is not the book for them.
Fun Girl (08/16/09)

A Love Story of Confusion
Whoa! I love love stories but truly, you get sooo caught up in the different times zones, that you can't appreciate this couples' love for each other.

It got so caught up in him traveling back and fourth, but mostly when you see him in present time and than you see him in the same scene from another year......I was very disappointed.......
Beetch (07/27/09)

WONDERFUL!
Best book I ever read! Next to twilight series. And I hate reading so it must have been a good book to keep me reading! Love it! Can't wait for the movie.
Nicky Head (02/27/09)

A fantastic read
I am absolutely hopeless at reading books, I get bored very easily so I usually take months to fully read a book. I read 'The Time Travelers Wife' in less than a week! It is beautifully written and had me laughing and crying in equal measures. I have since bought my husband, Mum and Dad a copy. My husband who often reads books in a week read this one in 3 days and has not shut up about it! Thank you Audrey for such a remarkable read.
Cree (06/08/08)

Journey Man was Better
The only thing remotely interesting about this book was the time travel concept. However, the tv show, Journey Man did a much better job tackling the concept than the book. This book goes on and on with over-the-top, unnecessary descriptions of paper and art, seemingly just for the sake of displaying the author's knowledge of the subject. Unfortunately, it did not add anything whatsoever to the story, but was a struggle to get through. Furthermore, Henry and Clare's "love story" was so robotic and hollow in feel. You can't just write about how much people love each other, not back it up with anything other than the "suspense" of waiting to see the other person and then sell it as a real love story. Not to mention that the sexual interactions were very bluntly written, not in a way that a couple in love would describe things. Not worth the time to read, now if only I could go back in time and choose not to read it...
Mary (01/22/08)

Rich Love Story for those who love to read!
In my book club we all take turn selecting our monthly pick. So when my friend Mary, selected this as her choice, I think I rolled my eyes. However, after the first few chapters I was sucked into Henry and Clare's very complicated life. This story line is so involved that the reader almost has to read it twice to follow Henry's time traveling. However, the read only need read this book once to feel and understand the power of Henry and Clare's love for each other.

I do not believe I would have selected this book to read on my own. I am grateful to my friend Mary for making all of us in our book club read it.

The Search