Reader reviews and comments on Snow Falling On Cedars, plus links to write your own review.

Snow Falling On Cedars

By David Guterson

Snow Falling On Cedars

• Hardcover: Sep 1994,
    Paperback: Sep 1995,

There are currently 44 reader reviews for Snow Falling On Cedars

Ben (05/07/03)

Sorry to all those Snow fans out there but I found this book very poor. Guterson doesn't like to be subtle (he points out too many things like the obvious links between his name and missing arm, to Moby Dick's Ishmael and Ahab's missing leg). Stuff like that cluttered the novel and became very patronising. Don't get me started about the final line of the novel. He rubs in the heart/Chambers motiff far too deep. *Cringe* I also found his dialogue appalling. And what is his obsession with male genitals??? Not my cup of tea.
dawn (04/27/03)

i HAD to read this book for my freshmen english class in college. At first I thought it had to much detail, but as I begun to read more, the detail drew you into the book. I thought this was a great book.
Jess (04/06/03)

Snow Falling On Cedars, is not just a story of a romance, but of prejudice, chance and of deep inner love. With the intricate plot set during and after World War II, the author reveals to the reader how white Americans treat Japanese Americans with their hatred and prejudice. This novel truly describes the nature of mankind and of their mistrust of others differing from themselves. Snow Falling On Cedars, is a beautiful story of a man trying to seek his way in a hateful world and I strongly suggest you read this novel.
Stephanie (04/04/03)

The school kids that continually state that this novel is "boooringggg" simply don't understand the text. I think that Snow Falling On Cedars was beautifully written, and there is a need for all the description in it to put yourself in the characters mind and place. This story about Ishmael and his journey through the harsh realities of life captures many important issues relating to the time we are in now, including love, passion, racism, justice, hate and regret. This story is a murder mystery/love story/war story/everything story. In other words, there is a bit in there for everyone and I strongly suggest that anyone with a passion for reading challenging but very rewarding texts, should definitely read Snow Falling On Cedars. You won't regret it!
Jay-Jay (02/05/03)

This book was good but it dragged on in the middle. I liked the movie better than the book. This book has been made into a movie starting Ethan Hawke and is quite good. The movie stayed true to the book.
Mat (12/06/02)

Matthew sat down on his macintosh style wooden chair in the front room of his grey suburban town house, the gas fire with it's small metal grill illuminated the room with a warm, rich light and he pulled a thick novel from his patched school bag and tried very hard, his fore-head knotted with concentration and with small streams of sweat trickling down past his long eyelashes, to find quotes for his essay in such a long-winded paperback novel as Snow Falling on Cedars, by David Gutterson who had grown up on a............ bla bla bla you get the picture.
Jess (11/26/02)

I thought that the book was okay, but it took about 100 words when one could have been used. The plot and sub-plots were quite good though, and they made me want to read on at a number of occasions! So not bad!
Christy (10/09/02)

I thought some of the parts got boring. He went on and on about one certain subject, but didn't tell about another.

• Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove