Reader reviews and comments on Snow Falling On Cedars, plus links to write your own review.

Snow Falling On Cedars

by David Guterson

Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson X
Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson

Sep 1994, 345 pages
    Sep 1995, 460 pages

There are currently 44 reader reviews for Snow Falling On Cedars

nic (06/10/03)

a brilliant book, i read it then watched the film half way through reading, this was all for my AS english literature course. i dont read as much as i should but this is a book that i could read again so it must be good! the film was enjoable but it think it should be wathched after if anythig because it can spoli your own creation of the characters although etta heine and art moran were as i imagined.The vivid description is a bit gory but certanitly makes the reader feel involved in the novel.Also gets across very significant issues.amazingly written.
Jen (06/06/03)

I think that this book was very well done, it gives us more of an insight to what the Japanese Americans had to go through, and all the discrimatory that was put there way because of thier culture, it is a very well done book, the only thing i feel that wasnt quite necessary was all the decription of the "body parts"in it, i think we can get the general idea of what these look like and what happens when 2 people sleep together, then having to go into so much detail, but all and all it was a well done book, with a good storyline that kept you in suspense till the end. :)
Sean Newberry (06/02/03)

As a 16 year old girl, love stories and the things that happen aroud them are bound to interet me. When I was 14, I saw the movie Snow Falling on Cedars and became fasinated with the story, and the characters (not to mention one Ethan Hawke). It was not until two years later, as a junior in high school that i had the opportunity to read the book itself. My American Literature class had been assigned a simple task for our end of the year final. We had to pick a book (At least 150 pages long, american author, either the book or the author HAD to have won an award or bee taught) to read and give a speech on. I picked a number of books, all which turned out to be missing one of the criteria. Finally, with four days until my speech was due, I was online looking for award winning books, when I came accross Snow Falling On Ceders. The next day my mom went and checked it out from our branch of the Multomah County Library. I think that the book is SO much better than the movie, though I enjoyed both. I really do dislike my english teacher, but for once, I want to thank her for forcing me to read what she defined as American Literature.
Alli (05/28/03)

Anybody who rates this book a 1 obviously does not appreciate the work of art david guterson created...the rich culture and the captivating setting weaved into a mysterious "murder" case and a breathtaking love story. This is one of the most vivid books I have ever read.
jeff (05/24/03)

blah too long needs to get to the point sooner and the love story can be cut out!!!!!!!!!!!
ruth (05/16/03)

one cool book
Jody (05/14/03)

I thouroughly enjoyed this book. I have read it several times, and found it more interesting with each new time I read it. Guterson's use of details brought me into the book and made me feel as though I was actually there in the setting. I can picture in my head the scenes and setting. I also liked the overall topic. Race relations has always been interesting to me, and I thought that Guterson very effectively captured the feelings of the people in the town at that time.
Stefanie (05/13/03)

Okay book. Doesn't focus on a lot of the main points being made in the novel. I thought the book was too straight forward and didn't give the reader ample opportunity to figure out all the five questions like who, what, where, when, and why. I'm sure David Guterson is an extremely talented author, but he should shift back and forth with the storyline to give the reader a chance to absorb all the information.

• Book Jacket: Only Child