Reader reviews and comments on Snow Falling On Cedars, plus links to write your own review.

Snow Falling On Cedars

by David Guterson

Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson X
Snow Falling On Cedars by David Guterson

Sep 1994, 345 pages
    Sep 1995, 460 pages

There are currently 44 reader reviews for Snow Falling On Cedars

Njones (10/02/02)

Snow Falling on Cedars is a book which captures the mind and allows you to see things from another perspective other than your own. David Guterson shows American society in ways which are not always shown. The book is a great one to study and a fantastic read! ....A Fantastic and enchanting book!
Bonnie (03/20/02)

I agree that David Gutterson's 'Snow Falling on Cedars' is a fabulous book and although i had to read it for school, i enjoyed it so much and all the people that said that they didn't like it probably had a bad teacher who didn't inspire them. It is a story with so much depth and meaning, it gives us a strong message that should not be ignored and is captivating and extrimly well written
Jess (03/16/02)

I was utterly captivated by Guterson's Snow Falling on Cedars. Guterson's eloquent description and intense character portrayals created a passionate, heartwarming story about truth, love, justice and human emotion. I couldn't put the book down.
big_73_13 (03/12/02)

The book was very boring and long. It dosen't hold your attention. Had to read it for class.

Gracie
I also had to read this book for school, and found it incredibly slow going and boring. It doesn't seem relevant crime fiction at all, and is more a love story than a novel about anything else...I do think that the book was way too long, and the ending kind of disappointing. It brought up good moral and ethical points, but was way too heavy going for me.

Johnny D
Look, this guy has a good story, but he just isn't a very good writer. He goes into LONG descriptions of scenery, etc. in a way reminiscent of Dickens but nowhere near as good. Dickens was cute when he tried to thicken his books, Guterson is just boring. He actually begins to trip over his own descriptive words, using "miasma" and "implacable snow" like a hundred times. He is under the high-school impression that more details and more vocab are always good. Snow Falling on Cedars really does read like it was written by a high school student. He even pulls the Si-Fi trick of including a made-up map! That's just dumb.

George Benny Deol
The Snow falling on cedars is an Interesting book but I would say very overly detailed. There are some sections of the book which are not very well described at the same time they are too lengthy. But overall it's a new sort of story reflecting lots of incidents pertaining to WWII & The Japanese people. I like the book and enjoyed reading it.

Canberra Student
I am presently studying this book in an English class called 'Crime fiction'. Most of the people in my class found that the book is way too detailed and therefore is really, really boring. I really didn't like it and at the moment I have an essay to write on it. The whole story can be cut down to 50 pages and it would still have the same effect. The author seemed to steer off the track way too often. I did not like it!

• Book Jacket: Future Home of the Living God
    by Alison McGhee

The Second Mrs. Hockaday by Susan Rivers

Wonder Valley
    by Ivy Pochoda

When men are not regretting that life is so short, they are doing something to kill time.

E Dog H I D