Reader reviews and comments on Eat, Pray, Love, plus links to write your own review.

One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

By Elizabeth Gilbert

• Hardcover: Feb 2006,
    Paperback: Jan 2007,

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Eat, Pray, Love

John Z (08/18/08)

Not bad, but not as great as I expected
I actually ended up reading this book as well - never thought I would read a book like this in a million years! It wasn't as good as I had anticipated, but it had some redeeming moments. More than anything I think the book is decent since it tells us to take a step back from ourselves and fix whatever is wrong with us internally.
Cindy Shimizu (07/07/08)

In defense of Eat, Pray, Love
I respect everyone's opinion regarding their reviews of this book, but I think some reviews are way too critical of the author's tone. I believe she made it clear that it is about her journeys, both physical and spiritual, and isn't a guide or a 'how to' book, but a personal chronicle of her life experiences. She is aware of her privilege and good fortune. She becomes aware of her ego. Despite these things, I believe she was able to connect with herself and the people around her and to relate her experiences in a compelling and inspiring way. It was, for me, an honest examination of the work she did to achieve balance and happiness in her life. I enjoyed it immensely.
Schupz (05/30/08)

Self-Indulgent!
I'm glad I read "Eat, Pray, Love", just because it's part of our culture right now. However, I didn't enjoy the book at all due to EG's self-indulgence. In fact, I found several, "book chucking" moments where I almost threw the book across the room. The most egregious part was when she remarked that well-heeled attendees at a meditation retreat were far more brave than National Geographic reporters who had risked their lives for their work. I understand it takes bravery to endure days of self-reflection, but come on. Could a person actually die meditating?

I honestly think the reason this book is so popular is shear vicariousness. Who wouldn't want to spend an all-expense paid year of eating, self-reflecting, and falling in love? She had a couple good insights and her writing was conversational, so it was an easy read. I think you'll know within the first 10 pages if this book is for you. Give it a try, though. Like it or not, it will give you real insight into the people who love this book.
SCP (05/18/08)

eat, pray, love and wallow in self-indulgence
I couldn't stand this book for all the reasons previous readers mentioned and then some. Clearly this book was intended to be a bestseller and never would have sold had it not been written by a celebrity who knows how to sell books! We had to wait for weeks in our bookclub to get our hands on a copy only to find this fluff. Cleverly written, I will say, and the title is catchy. BUT, I found the story overall to be an affront to people who truly go through serious crises in their lives, and an insult to those seeking true spiritual guidance at such times. Half the ashrams in India prey on idiots who think they can chant their way to inner peace - while they empty the victims' wallets. I say this with shame, as I am Indian, and have had this happen to those near and dear to me. had Elizabeth Gilbert not been tall, blonde, beautiful and successful, I doubt this seeker of inner wisdom would have gotten either the youth of Italy or the old men of Bali to have given her the time of day....if you haven't read this book yet, don't waste your time....
M E Johnson (03/02/08)

Eat, Pray, Love
Ok as a travelogue. Not realistic for most of us. How many may drop everything to spend a year traveling, much less do it financially? I am glad that EG had the opportunity to do her much needed soul searching. Choices that we make lead us down different roads and we need to become comfortable with those choices. I wish that she had spoken a little more about the food part. that aspect fell apart after leaving Italy and was hardly mentioned in Bali. I guess she was just living on love by then.
Kim (01/01/08)

Not my cup of tea!
Now, I know this book has been wildly popular, but I just don't get it! This woman goes in search of herself, but never grows! She ends up in exactly the same place she started. It's more travelogue than a journey of self-enlightenment.
Maria Costa (12/20/07)

Where does someone start to say thank you for the courage it took not only to take the step that can seem so crippling,as many of us know, but also take a journey that takes one away from everything one knows.

I can not tell you how much I enjoyed this book. I had not been able to completely read a book in years..
Eat Pray Love not only brought tears for confirmation but also a friend who said what I have been feeling and thinking for so many years.
It was so timely as my own journey had began in search of myself. I cannot say enough about my love of this woman who dared to go where so many of us need to go.

Well done Liz!!!!!!!!
WickedAngel (10/15/07)

An Excellent Book
I don't see at all what the last two reviewers are talking about. I think we read different books. She didn't put down Italy, as a matter of fact, she even beautified Sicily, at least to me. If anything, she conveyed the people of Italy as PASSIONATE. Being Italian myself, I was not offended in the least.

That said, I found this book to be cathartic. The author went through things in her life that I also went through. Should I ever have the resources and finances to take a year to travel in order to fulfill a quest for enlightenment, I would do it now, at 37.

She followed her heart and it led her to what she wanted.

This book was beautifully written, enlightening and has truly made me reflect upon my life. I think anyone who has had turmoil in their lives should read this book.

The Search