MLA Gold Award Site

Reader reviews and comments on Eat, Pray, Love, plus links to write your own review.

Eat, Pray, Love

Jan 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Eat, Pray, Love

Annon. (08/01/10)

Trite
It borders absurd that this story could be glorified to the degree of being considered a personal "triumph."

I would love to see how her story would have turned out minus the huge bank account that allowed her to take the vacation of her life.

There is no depth of soul here...she had nothing to overcome and only herself to think about and all the money in the world to do it.

I give this story a minus 0.
Chris Giese (07/29/10)

Wasn't really what wanted to read
When I first read the info on the back of the book, i thought It would be just what I wanted. But like others have written, it became boring. I think her husband was lucky to get rid of her and her employer was stupid to give her an opportunity to report from abroad and I don't think she had a real good sense of food - which is the only thing she sounded interested in. I did not finish the book-but I did buy it.
Carmen (07/19/10)

over-rated
Let's hope she doesn't write any more books....a waste of good paper.
Pearl S. (07/08/10)

Eat, Love, and Pray
A boring, repetitious travelogue filled with flashback events, which do not clarify narrator's present experiences, but add to the confusion of a self-absorbed individual's whining about her own personal self-inflicted mental wounds that reflect her separation from biblical principles.
Karen (07/02/10)

Eat Love Pray
In one word - BORING. Don't understand how it got to be a best seller, was ready to throw it in the bin after first few chapters. Been waiting so long to read this book - glad I didn't buy it. The friend I got it off couldn't even finish it.
phil11 (05/26/10)

why
This book does not put the author in a good light. Unable to maintain a relationship and unable to maintain any sexual purity...She tells a story, but why?
Not worth reading.
Gabby (01/17/10)

It spoke to at least me
I loved this book! My mother gave me this book when I left my husband. I was beyond hurt. I felt no one on earth ever could imagine what I was going through. And when I read this book , I didn't feel so terribly alone. Even had it been fiction, it at least put into words my jumbled thoughts.
wanjugu (01/11/10)

double standards
The only thing that I could not get past is her leaving the marriage, and that she did not understand why her husband who thought she would never leave him could not forgive her!! Many people say it was courageous for her to leave him, but the word selfish kept coming to my mind. Also thought about the DOUBLE STANDARDS in the American culture because a man who leaves his his wife because he is sad in the marriage I bet would not sell so many books. I loved Elizabeth Gilbert's sense of humor, her writing was good and I feel like I know Italy very well.

• Book Jacket: Everybody's Fool
    Everybody's Fool
    by Richard Russo
    Written from multiple viewpoints, Everybody's Fool features an ensemble cast of inhabitants ...
  • Book Jacket: The Strings of Murder
    The Strings of Murder
    by Oscar de Muriel
    As Jack the Ripper eludes the police at Scotland Yard in London and all efforts to catch the most ...
  • Book Jacket: If I Was Your Girl
    If I Was Your Girl
    by Meredith Russo
    Who defines us? Do we ourselves, or does the society in which we live? Meredith Russo's ...

Since She Went Away
    by David Bell

A chilling novel of guilt, regret, and a past which refuses to die...

The Life of the World to Come
    by Dan Cluchey

Smart, sad and crackling with wit, a book about love, life and what happens after.

Sweet Caress
by William Boyd

Summer Stunner
Summer Giveaway

Win 5 books, each week in July!

C To T Q