Reader reviews and comments on Eat, Pray, Love, plus links to write your own review.

One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia

by Elizabeth Gilbert

Feb 2006, 352 pages
    Jan 2007, 352 pages

There are currently 42 reader reviews for Eat, Pray, Love

Chana (12/31/09)

Boring
I found this book to be slightly on the boring side. Yes, it was engaging at times, but she really didn't delve into what I was curious about, and I really wanted to know why she left her husband after so many years. Yes, she gave some reasons such as, not satisfied...not wanting to be a mother, but that was vague and maybe because this is how she chose to write the book.

I really have no interest in reading books that focus on spirituality/Eastern Religion. I could see how this book would fascinate one, especially if they have an interest in mediation, yoga, and Guru stuff. The author seems to be very confused about her beliefs/core values.

I suggest borrowing the book, instead of buying it- save your money.
bibi (11/15/09)

eat, pray and love
i can identify myself with Elizabeth.......what an honest journey......to find oneself, and God , free from society dogmas......bravo........quelle finesse naturelle........
Charrie (10/18/09)

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I found her time in India very frustrating and too drawn out. I have been to India and although I am a seasoned traveler, I fail to see how anyone go there to find themselves. Nothing charming about India
Amanda (07/20/09)

Life
Life Changing, encourage, love/romance. A very good read for a biography. A very good read for summer reading and high schoolers.
JKennedy (02/07/09)

Eat, Pray, Love
While I respect Elizabeth Gilbert's desire to find God and herself after what was clearly a life-shattering event in life - who wouldn't want crave clarity and meaning after a divorce? - but her method seems a bit extreme, to say the least. As another reader said, this is a cathartic work, but didn't leave me a reader with more than awareness and understanding than I had before reading her book. Many times throughout the book I wanted to scream at her to just get a grip, pull herself up by the bootstraps and move on. However it did leave me pondering about the lengths some will go to find meaning and spirituality in their lives as if there is an absolute and definitive answer while clearly dismissing simple acceptance. Does knowing God and have a spiritual awareness only come if you can meditate yourself into another dimension? I think by accepting this notion, one misses on the everyday simplicity of spirituality that exists within us as well as that which surrounds us.
Melissa (01/27/09)

Annoying
I found it hard to relate to a woman and her struggles when she is so fortunate to be able to travel and live freely for a year with the money she got from her book deal!! if we can all be so lucky...Her love of Italy was super annoying too..I thought I would have enjoyed this better if it was written by someone who was more real...and even more spiritual...but then this is coming from a very spiritual person of very modest means..
annie (09/24/08)

boring
I was excited to buy this book but wanted to put it away several times. There were a few moments of great writing but most of the book is extremely dry and boring. I did not finish the book and I would not buy anything else from this author based on this sampling.
Ro (09/09/08)

I just don't get the rave reviews
This author is so insulting to Italy that the first part was such a turnoff that I am having difficulty finishing the book. Her constant sarcastic remarks and condescending attitude toward the Italian people makes me sick. She should consider the positive reviews a generous gift...

• Book Jacket: A Great Reckoning
    by Yaa Gyasi
  • Book Jacket: When Breath Becomes Air
    When Breath Becomes Air
    by Paul Kalanithi

A library...should be the delivery room for the birth of ideas--a place where history comes to life.

The Big Holiday Wordplay: