Reader reviews and comments on Ghost Soldiers, plus links to write your own review.

Ghost Soldiers

The Forgotten Epic Story of World War II's Most Dramatic Mission

By Hampton Sides

Ghost Soldiers

• Hardcover: May 2001,
    Paperback: May 2002,

There are currently 30 reader reviews for Ghost Soldiers

maud rawson (12/09/08)

A wonderfully written and researched book
Hampton Sides has written one of the best books I have read. His telling of the story kept me wanting to stay awake and finish this fine book. I highly recommend it and I commend the author for doing such intensive research and writing so caringly about the people in his book. I never knew just how POWs had been treated and it is an eyeopener.
jeff (01/13/07)

ghost soldiers
Great book,my grandfather is 87 he is the one that shot the lock off the p.o.w camp gate and proceeded to get the prisioners out; makes you proud to be an American.
Molly (08/24/06)

School Project
I had to read Ghost Soldiers for a summer project for my ninth grade history class. I rated it a four because I enjoyed the book, but at times I thought that insted of just saying "it was a long ways" the author wrote about two paragraphs just talking about how far the march was. Besides that, I enjoyed the book and would recomend it to people who enjoy learning about the history of the United States.
Chuck Vietnam combat vet (02/24/05)

I have had the pleasure of reading "Ghost Soldiers". Prior to the start of this fine book, I
finished "Flags of our Fathers" as well as "Flyboys" both excellent reads. Much to my suprise,
I found "Ghost Soldiers" read much like watching a motion picture presentation . Each chapter
built upon the next with an exciting conclusion.

If you like drama, and excitement and real history thrown in, well this one for you.

My hat is off to those who served in WW II and what they went through in the south pacific.

My Uncle served with the U. S. Marines at Tarawa as well as Iwo Jima and Okinawa.
I heard about the war strories growing up, but had not idea what my other Uncles were
talking about until I read these fine books.

Ghost Soldiers gives you the action right in your lap.

Don't miss reading this book. It's one that you won't soon forget.

Lisa (02/15/05)

A truly extraordinary and humbling book. One of the best war stories I have ever read.
Herbert (12/07/04)

This book was simply marvelous. Hampton sides brought this story to life with his brilliant use of imagery. There would be no better way to describe such a horrendous time filled with countless Japanese atrocities. Its a must read!
Toms (08/24/04)

Good Stuff + what the other guys said
Amber (07/18/04)

This book was wonderful and an accurate depiction of what happened to these POW's. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Book Jacket: The Goldfinch
    The Goldfinch
    by Donna Tartt
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer for Fiction.

Her canvas is vast. To frame a story about art, love and ...
  • Book Jacket: Toms River
    Toms River
    by Dan Fagin
    Winner of the 2014 Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction

In Toms River, investigative journalist Dan Fagin ...
  • Book Jacket: The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
    by Gabrielle Zevin
    I feel like Gabrielle Zevin wrote this wonderful book, about a lonely New England bookstore owner ...

The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
by Gabrielle Zevin

Published Apr. 2014

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

P Your O C