Reader reviews and comments on Flags of Our Fathers, plus links to write your own review.

Flags of Our Fathers

By James Bradley, Ron Powers

Flags of Our Fathers

• Hardcover: May 2000,
    Paperback: Oct 2001,

There are currently 30 reader reviews for Flags of Our Fathers

Renee
My father was a Navy corpsman who survived the battle of Iwo Jima. It was for this reason that I purchased James Bradley's book - and quite honestly, because I knew nothing of the author beyond his relationship to one of the flag raisers, I expected it to be an average read.
Not so.
This book is extraordinarily well written; it was as difficult to put down as it was, at times, to pick up. Although my father was not as reluctant to talk about Iwo Jima as Bradley's father was, the book brought the brutality of the battle into even sharper focus for me - and, within its pages, "Flags of Our Fathers" taught me things about my own father than I hadn't learned in 36 years of being his daughter.
Thank you, James Bradley. I will forever remember "Doc" Bradley for his bravery and humility - and I will always treasure my copy of "Flags of Our Fathers".

C. Marin
This book is one of the best I've ever read. My emotion overwhelmed me! I wept throughout this powerful story of how these young, courageous boys were forced to become men. It makes me proud that I have served my country. I will read this book time and time again.

M. Fischer
This is a must read! I am so proud to be married to a veteran of the United States Marine Corp. This book has opened an understanding about what occurred during the battle on Iwo Jima that I had never had a clear picture of before. Thank you, Mr. Bradley for writing this book.

Dan St. Germain
One of the best book I have ever read. James Bradley did an excellent job of researching. Wish James would do more of this kind of work. In many ways feel this is the experience I have had with my father and his experience in WW II. Can relate to this very much. I think that James's calling is to do more of this kind of work. I appreciate the efforts of the author and his love and understand of his father.

B Petersen
I am a 15 year old student who read this book for historical reasons. Bradley did an amazing job at bringing to life the fact that these men who fight lived lives just like I do. It just brings to life the thanks we owe these men who fight.

Paul P
I find the Flags of our Fathers, particularly the battle scenes most accurate. I happened to be at Iwo Jima at the time and witnessed the raising of the flag. I was a navy corpman attached to the 4th div. Marines. John Bailey did an excellent job. I hope more people read it.

• Book Jacket: The Hundred-Year House
    The Hundred-Year House
    by Rebecca Makkai
    The Valley of Amazement
    by Amy Tan
    "Mirror, Mirror on the wall
    I am my mother after all!"

In my pre-retirement days as a professor ...
  • Book Jacket: A Man Called Ove